Author Topic: Craobh versus Dunstaffnage  (Read 3977 times)

Cdogg

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30C
  • Boat Year: 2008
Craobh versus Dunstaffnage
« on: October 20 2012, 13:28 »
Any advice/recommendations as to which of the above two marinas would be best as a summer base for cruising our Bavaria 30. I would like to cruise around the islands west of Mull, but with as few tidal challenges as possible (one less thing to plan). Craobh is already clear of the Dorus Mor but it still leaves the Sound of Luing to consider for each departure and return and I certainly don't like the look on the chart of the Cuan Sound. Dunstaffnage, according to its web pages, warns of strong currents around the marina bay, in real terms, is this a problem? It also appears on the web photos as though it might be a bit exposed to blows.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Craobh versus Dunstaffnage
« Reply #1 on: October 21 2012, 14:23 »
The Sound of Luing is not a real problem as long as you get the tides right, Ardfern is also a possibility, Dunstaffnage has good facilities but I didn't think you got real value for the money, it was no problem getting in or out, alternative is Oban marina on Kererra but theres no parking for cars. I'm heading up there next summer and probably base myself at Ardfern to start with, then move around for the month.

Stevie

Cdogg

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30C
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 21 2012, 14:42 »
Thanks for that Stevie.
Kerrera is out simply for the car parking and boat ride over.  Ardfern is a possibility, but as I'm driving from the north, Dunstaffnage is a bit closer and saves going through Oban every time. However, I don't know about car parking there and I'm not sure what you mean by "real value for money", maybe you could expand on that if it isn't too controversial.
Thanks

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: October 21 2012, 14:51 »
I think the mooring fees are not good value when considering largs or Kip for example theyre looking at being at the higher end of the scale for marinas they charged my 32 quid for the night then wanted electricity as well and that was after sorting out there power trip on the pontoon, as for parking plenty of it and the yard guys are very helpful. Short term would be secure enough if you planning on leaving it.

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: November 07 2012, 13:05 »
There are other places not far from Oban turn right over bridge before Dunstaffnage , Barcaldine Marine and Loch Creran , when looking for boat visited these and found very friendly and I expect not as pricey as Dunstaffnage

shame about parking for Kerrara as they are very friendly there and have built a log cabin recently to enclose their ex al freco restaurant and bar which is well worth a visit .

theres also tobermory but you may find it hard to leave as its so good :)