Author Topic: Solar panel fixing and wiring routing  (Read 3512 times)

Iain C

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
Solar panel fixing and wiring routing
« on: April 03 2018, 09:34 »
I've just bought a basic NASA 20W solar panel for my 2004 Bav32.  Obviously I know it doesn't kick out much power, but the boat lives on a swinging mooring and I just want something to keep the batteries topped up.

I was going to mount the semi flexible panel on the hatch garage.  The domestic batteries (x2) are under the port saloon berth.  As the boat is very new to me, I've not had much of a poke around yet, but can someone please tell me the best way to route the wiring please, in terms of cable glands, panels etc?

Also, in terms of actually fixing it down, am I better bolting it to the hatch garage or just sikaflexing it down?

Thanks in advance!

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Solar panel fixing and wiring routing
« Reply #1 on: April 03 2018, 17:10 »
I don't have the same boat so not sure about exact wiring routes. You can probably find a route under the headlining and down through a cupboard I would think, but maybe someone else has done this on a similar design to yours.

Or you could consider alternative placement: I routed my wiring from my solar panels paced on top of my bimini down through the deck using a cable gland. Then it is relatively easy to run the wires down behind the cupboard panels to the bilges and hence to the batteries. 

On fixing - I would bolt or screw them down. If you use Sikaflex they will be very difficult to take on and off or replace in the future.

Sikaflex or 5200 are fine for permanent fixing but in this case I would suggest something more flexible for maintenance etc.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: April 04 2018, 02:30 »
Hi Kibo
I have a 2005 32 with 2 flexible 100 watt panels on my Sunbrella bimini.  Your panel may rigid but I might suggest another option for mounting. I used a 3M Dual Locking 'velcro' type produce. It is industrial strength and  comes in both sew-on and stick-on versions. Unlike Velcro the mating surfaces are identical so they are interchangeable.  It allows me to remove the panels in the winter with ease. (I have a cable attached to the panels to prevent theft)

The company that I ordered from is in the USA called the ItapeStore.com.
Just another thought.
Harvey
Dance Lightly Too

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 04 2018, 04:14 »
that sounds like a good option. I have the same flexible panels but I tie them down to the Bimini frame so far. I will look at the “Velcro” option too
Thanks
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: April 05 2018, 05:50 »
Hi Kino
I had the sewable version stitched the the bimini and of course i fastened the adhesive version to the panels. Depending on the shape of your bimini and size of your panels I attached the panels on the two longest sides. Once they are pressed together they hold until you ‘peel’ them off.
I can send you my order information if you like to see costs, order details etc. Just drop me a line if that is desireable. Cheers

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: April 05 2018, 22:22 »
Hi Iain

I just posted this in response to another post and think it may be of interest to you.

http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,2078.msg13155.html#msg13155

Jeff

Iain C

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: April 24 2018, 17:25 »
All very useful...thanks guys!