Author Topic: 2004 B32, asymmetric dimensions with a bowsprit  (Read 4129 times)

Iain C

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
2004 B32, asymmetric dimensions with a bowsprit
« on: March 19 2018, 21:38 »
Hi

Has anyone fitted a bowsprit and asymmetric to a circa 2004 vintage B32?  If so, what measurements did your kite have?  Alternatively, does anyone have the standard foretriangle measurements (I and J)

Thanks in advance!

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: 2004 B32, asymmetric dimensions with a bowsprit
« Reply #1 on: March 20 2018, 07:36 »
Ian,

Sorry but I don't have dimensions for your boat.

Seldan have a retractable bowsprit but make sure you get the forward end attachment to the forestay. Do not attach to the deck only. Beware of how it will fit as some models may have the bow roller or anchor in the way. Seldan have the recommended sizes for each of the Bavaria models.

I was put onto the ATN Tacker by a post on one of these forums. I'm seriously considering getting one for my boat. A YouTube search will show how they work. It might be a viable option for you.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 20 2018, 10:51 »
There is no fixed dimension for an asymmetric. There are so many different cuts, sizes and materials available so suggest you discuss with your sailmaker what your expectations are.

I have just been through this exercise and decided on a relatively small furling nylon chute of 65 sqm (on a Bavaria 33), having considered several different alternatives with sizes, some as big as 80 sqm. My requirements were to be effective from 90-150 degrees and easily handled single handed up to 15 knots.

The 33 is different from your boat as it has a small (106%) jib and loses power once past a reach, whereas you have a bigger genoa, so your requirement may be different. My sail was made by Kemps, but I had quotes from others, most of whom offered similar choices.

Not a cheap exercise if you are going furling as the gear costs more than the sail, but at least you can use the gear for other sails if you want!

rbrtmccorkle

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Barvaria Ocean 42
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: March 20 2018, 19:40 »
On my Bav Ocean 42 - just ordered the ATN Tacker as seen on YouTube from a link posted in this forum.

Iain C

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: March 29 2018, 21:44 »
Thanks for the replies people, however what I am really after here is the forestay length...or at least I and J measurements so I can work it out.  Does anyone have these numbers?

Thanks in advance!

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 17 2018, 02:45 »
try getting the serial number of the base of the mast and email Selden for your mast dimensions.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: June 17 2018, 09:32 »
You could use a long tape measure attached to the end of the halyard, but not on its own, always tie on an additional rope so that you can pull the halyard back down, and only do it in light or no wind conditions. If you haven’t got a long tape measure, then use a shorter one and measure the length of the rope you have just tied to the end of the halyard.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: June 17 2018, 13:11 »
Get the template for measuring rig dimensions from any of the sailmaker's websites - Kemps, Crusader etc and do it yourself. Kemps took about 5 minutes to measure my boat. ideally you need a long tape to attach to the spinny halyard and haul it up the mast to the sheave and measure to the point where the tack will be, or you can use a suitable length of rope, haul it up and mark it at the tack point, lower it and measure the length. However, the length in terms of measuring for the luff of the sail only becomes critical if you are having a torque rope.