Author Topic: DIY Coppercoat: Scraping, Preparation, Application and Results after 28 months  (Read 3911 times)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
I've published a series of articles about my DIY Coppercoating (of our 2001 Bavaria 40 Ocean). Might be useful if you're considering it. You can find it all on our blog at https://sdfjkl.org

Or use these direct links to the parts:

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Nice one Yngmar!
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
Yngmar

Very interesting articles.

Thanks for taking the time to compile the reports.

Fenders

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Thank you Yngmar for this very well prepared and interesting read, I really enjoyed it!

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Yngmar,
Been considering Copper Coat as well. Your fine assessment has tipped the scales in favour of the exercise. Just need to convince the Treasurer that it is worth the effort/cost. While your description of preparation and application shows that it can indeed be self applied I would most likely use my time to earn and pay someone else (professional applicator) to put the copper coat on.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Yngmar
  The copper coat is a product that intrigues me too, and your experiences and wonderful report just make me more interested.  I wonder how this system would go in eastern Australia?
It has been a good season for marine growth in my port.  Warm salty water due to lack of rain and weird weather. This equals shell growth in around 6- months from AF
really nasty stuff to try and remove in the water with ablative AF.  So maybe next year I’ll give the CC a crack, just not looking forward to the hull stripping and I need to find a local hard stand at reasonable rates.
Cheers Richard

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
I have had previous coppercoated boats and so my latest Bavaria 37 was also copper-coated and is now 2 years old.

Just to confirm Yngmars comments that the slime layer is thinner the more the boat is used. The annual haul out is now down to two days. Have saved two lots of anti-foul so far plus the labour that goes with that (small saving on protective clothing and brushes/rollers too!)

If you are going to keep your boat for a fair time then its a no brainer, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.