Author Topic: Antifoul paint on saildrive  (Read 2655 times)

Newbies

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Cruiser (Farr)
  • Boat Year: 2011
Antifoul paint on saildrive
« on: March 05 2018, 18:39 »
Hi there, I painted Cruiser Uno antifoul on to the saildrive (first time winterisation for me!) I have subsequently found out that this isn't recommended, due to the copper oxide and the risk of corrosion.

I have very limited time before my lift in, would anyone be able to give me some advice please. Should I try to remove the antifoul and if so, any recommendations for this or does anyone have any experience of this happening and were there any issues after about 8 months in sea water (the boat will be out again in November)

Many thanks
Bavaria 36 Cruiser owner

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Antifoul paint on saildrive
« Reply #1 on: March 05 2018, 19:22 »
Best if you can get the saildrive cleaned off and then primed and antifouled with aluminium friendly paints. My saildrive has had cruiser uno antifouling on it and was looking a bit pitted in places. I've since cleaned and filled the pitted areas with a two pack epoxy filler. Now I always use aluminium friendly paints on the saildrive. For the paint removal you can use a paint remover followed up with a rotary wire brush, or just the rotary wire brush on its own, but remember to protect your eyes from anything that gets thrown off, in particular pieces of wire from the brush. Then wash it all off to remove traces of paint remover, allow it to dry and then apply primer paint. Don't paint over the anode or the area where the anode contacts the aluminium casting of the saildrive leg. If you use a spray primer it should dry very quickly, but pay attention to any temperature restrictions. Some paints recommend they should not be used below 10 degrees C., which can be a bit limiting at this time of year.

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 05 2018, 19:27 »
I find a lot of buildup near the holes on the sail drive l worry that they will prevent water from entering. I have tried all sorts of paints even added formaldehyde last season still built up.

Holger

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: March 05 2018, 20:53 »
I believe it is almost impossible to say whether or not eight months in sea water cause problems to your saildrive or not. As I as a layman understand it you should not have any issues if the paint system of the saildrive leg is completely intact (which means that there are no scratches etc.) and you may have issues if it is not. If there are scratches the copper in the antifoul will increase the "reactive surface" and may make a bad situation (a lot) worse. There are some reports where half a year was sufficient for corrosion to (almost) eat up saildrives. Wether or not these reports are true, I do not know. Best regards Holger

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 05 2018, 22:57 »
Definitely remove the Uno using one of the chemical antifoul strippers. Do not try to remove it mechanically as you risk damaging the paint finish.

The correct antifoul to use is International Trilux or the Hempel equivalent. Use the spray. There is a primer and top coat. Follow the instructions to prime and then antifoul. This should last a season and just jet wash it when you haul out. 2 or 3 spray coats on top for the next season. You can do your propeller the same way. Mask off the anode(s) on the drive and the prop as spraying them will stop them from working.