Author Topic: Raymarine Auto Pilot  (Read 4223 times)

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Raymarine Auto Pilot
« on: February 12 2018, 11:11 »
Has anyone had any any experience with the Raymarine SPX-30 course computer faults. After many years of faithful service, "Ray" the pilot has decided to only turn to Starboard. Has anyone else had this issue, or knows of a solution. I suspect I may need to replace the unit though.

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Raymarine Auto Pilot
« Reply #1 on: February 12 2018, 19:41 »
Has someone put something big and metallic near the compass? Has some one knocked it and altered the deviation from the set up done on the boat with the 3 circles trick?
If not and you have been through some heavy weather (or its taken a knock) the little gimble inside can jump out. I seem to remember mine doing something similar on our last boat after Mrs Impavidus put her high heals in the cupboard where the compass was, it got whacked and the steel heel thingys played havoc with the settings. Heels removed and gimble sorted we just had to re calibrate the heading compass with the 3 circles set up.

I am not suggesting you wear heels by the way............  :o

Hope this helps.

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: February 12 2018, 21:27 »
Quite possible Impavidus.
  In our case it was a folding bike placed on the other side of the bulkhead from the fluxgate compass. ...gave us a fright...!!

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: February 13 2018, 20:04 »
When I bought my previous boat it had a similar problem. I then looked at the motor connection and discovered that the previous owner had installed the cable the wrong way. A simple wire-switchover fixed my problem  :)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: February 14 2018, 16:21 »
Also had the same problem when during some heavy weather the spare gas cylinder had shifted in the cockpit locker and wedged itself against the fluxgate. Suddenly the steering was all over the place. Turned off auto.
Back at base and discovered the problem. Re-arranged the locker contents and no further issues.

Fenders

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 12 2018, 06:42 »
Hi All,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I wish that it was as simple as a pair of high heels. Done all of the calibration things, sacrificed several very nice reds to the gods (well shared them with the gods!) to no avail. Bav32, the only way I can convince "Ray" to turn to Port is to reverse the motor wires!

Looks like the course computer has a faulty relay. Sounds like I could be up for renewing the entire instrumentation package too. Nothing seems to be backward compatible! All in the name of progress.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: March 12 2018, 07:19 »
Replacing a relay is a fairly easy job and requires only basic soldering skills.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: March 12 2018, 11:17 »
Hi
If your Raymarine component is faulty it might be worthwhile spending a few quid and sending it to The Service Center http://www.marineelectronicservice.com/ so they can have a look at it. They analyse the fault and let you know the cost of repairing it including parts (they have a bank f older replacement parts I believe)  I used them for my busted 11 year old Raymarine C80 MFD this year.  They were as good as their word and repaired the unit and returned it to me within 2 weeks.  Like you it saved me replacing a whole gaggle of integrated Raymarine stuff.  They replaced one of the pcbs that was broken and returned it to me...total cost was about £250 in my case. repair guaranteed for 12 months.

cheers
richard

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: March 12 2018, 15:57 »

If your Raymarine component is faulty it might be worthwhile spending a few quid and sending it to The Service Center http://www.marineelectronicservice.com/ so they can have a look at it. They analyse the fault and let you know the cost of repairing it including parts .....

Hmm, my experience with them was not so good. It too centred around an old Raymarine chart plotter where the screen display had gone. Their diagnosis was that the main printed circuit board was water damaged, but they had not opened the display unit and had only guessed at the problem. They sent it back with their diagnosis and an invoice for their time, and saying they were not able to repair it. When the unit was returned to me it was very clear that it had not been opened. I sent it on to Raymarine (before Flir got involved) and they said it needed a new screen which they replaced and that solved the problem. There was nothing wrong with the PCB and it continued working at least for the next couple of years until eventually I gave it away prior to buying a new plotter that could display AIS.
While I think that the Service Centre may be worth a try, I was not impressed with their clearly flawed diagnosis.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #9 on: March 13 2018, 10:14 »
Sorry to hear of your poor experience.  Can only say again that I found the service excellent and for £70 for their analysis of issue and phone call report saying the PCB connector had bust, hence my display problem and a new one fitted with labour would be an additional £165 (if i remember)...it came back fully sorted. That avoided me the considerable expense had I had to replace the C80 for a new technology MFD as all existing log, wind, AIS, radar, auto-helm, gps etc are all original Seatalk 1 and not compatible with the latest MFDs.  Its worth a try I would say.  Also i understand Raymarine service don't touch equipment more than 10years old (may be wrong)

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 15 2018, 11:29 »
Richard,
Based in Australia, so not sure if it would be best option.

Yngmar,

Might just take it out and replace all of the output relays nothing ventured nothing gained!

All thank you for your inputs.

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #11 on: April 15 2018, 12:07 »
... i understand Raymarine service don't touch equipment more than 10years old (may be wrong)...

You're not wrong, that was the response I got from them with an ST60 unit. Easy problem that was fixed by someone else for much less money.
ATB

Mark

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 06 2018, 08:39 »
Almost enough to make you go to B&G!
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009