Author Topic: 2006 Bavaria 37 leak into Port aft Cabin  (Read 2802 times)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
2006 Bavaria 37 leak into Port aft Cabin
« on: February 04 2018, 10:55 »
Went for a  sail yesterday, first one of the year and found that the rear cabin mattress on the port side was wet all along the edge from the cupboard back. Before I start trying to find the leak are there any common leaks that would cause this on this year of Bavaria. My first thought was window seal and something stuck in it but cleaned it all off and found nothing, any help would be appreciated.
Simon

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: 2006 Bavaria 37 leak into Port aft Cabin
« Reply #1 on: February 04 2018, 18:12 »
Had similar problem on 2004 B32. Might be the same arrangement on your B37. After extensive searching over many months checking stanchion fittings, toerail and port aft cleat,  I then stripped out the wood panels inside the lockers to expose the pushpit through deck bolts. Still couldn’t find the source. I left the wood panels off and just by chanceI was on the boat when it poured down with rain. I looked inside the lockers to find water dripping from the underside of one of the bolts that secure the pushpit. I was so pleased to witness the event.
On the next dry day I removed the pushpit and discovered that there was very little sealant on the through deck fittings. I dried and cleaned off the bolts and the deck holes, 3 of, then applied new sealant generously before refitting the pushpit. I finished off by tightening the bolts from inside the locker. Just a note, one bolt is inside the rear locker and the other 2 are inside the transom void.
I didn’t have a socket big enough so bought one for the job which is kept on board. I think it was either 21 or 24mm and it had a long reach. Not had any further water ingress.
Hope this helps.

Fenders

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: February 04 2018, 18:50 »
Cheers fenders, I will have a look at the arrangement when I am next at the boat. I am going to try a hose over the area and see if I can find the leak.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 04 2018, 22:42 »
Not sure how your Bav 37 is set out in the rear cabin, but have had a few cases where cockpit shower left pressurised and join at base of flexible hose leaking and spraying water onto panel behind bunk. Water then runs down and wets the mattress.

Otherwise, if you have had a fair bit of pressure on your fairleads, the sealing under them may have gone, causing the leak.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: February 05 2018, 09:08 »
Several years ago I had water leaking through into the aft starboard cabin on my B36(2002) resulting in water running down and soaking the aft end of the mattress. It took a while to find where the water was entering, but it turned out to be from an area some distance away where water leaking through an enlarged screw hole had dripped onto a wire within the lazarette. The water then travelled forward, running along the wire as it dropped slowly until it arrived into a boxed in space where the steering cables travel between the pulley wheels under the steering binnacle and the rudder quadrant. Within that area the wire began to lead back up hill preventing the water from travelling further and at which point it dripped off and ran down one side of the aft cabin dividing bulkhead and so to the mattress.
Fortunately I'd seen a drip of water on that wire and was able to trace it to the point of entry which was through an enlarged screw hole through a panel in way of the emergency steering position. That screw hole has since been made waterproof, and the mattress, after being dried out has since remained perfectly dry.
The moral, I suppose, is never to assume that water entering the dry area within the hull has come from a leak anywhere near to where the puddle was found.