Author Topic: QUICK BALDER windlass for B38 (2008)  (Read 4018 times)

laatzu

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
QUICK BALDER windlass for B38 (2008)
« on: January 04 2018, 20:33 »
Hi,

I am planning to install Quick Balder windlass on my B38 (2008). Anyone installed similar? Was thinking that is 900 W good enough, or should I need to buy 1200 W version?

More than happy if someone can send own installation pictures and share installation and usage experience \O/

Thaaaaanks,
Late

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: QUICK BALDER windlass for B38 (2008)
« Reply #1 on: January 17 2018, 22:55 »
My Bav 38, that went down the production line in Dec 2009 and launched in Feb 2010,  had the Quick 800w windlass fitted as standard.

With 100m of 8mm chain and a 23kg Kobra anchor the 800w seems to work quite well. I did have to replace it about 2 years ago when corrosion of the aluminium around the Chain Stripper gave way, jammed the chain and stripped all the gears.

I don't know how the Quick Balder windlass differs from the standard windlass and can't see any reason to change from the standard Quick windlass unless cost was a consideration.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: January 18 2018, 07:43 »
My Bav 38, that went down the production line in Dec 2009 and launched in Feb 2010,  had the Quick 800w windlass fitted as standard.

(But) I did have to replace it about 2 years ago when corrosion of the aluminium around the Chain Stripper gave way, jammed the chain and stripped all the gears.

It would be interesting to do some sort of survey on the longevity of different manufacturers windlass and the various problems that those windlass present. Yours Craig, lasted only some five years, so my guess is that Quick's, and no doubt other manufacturers, probably wouldn't be interested in discussions regarding warranty issues. I know that Lofrans windlass had problems regarding base corrosion with their machinery sitting in water filled rubber lined puddles. However on my B36(2002) the Lofrans Cayman windlass fitted during manufacture and lifted out last winter for an oil change and thorough examination, is still going strong after sixteen years, and has virtually no corrosion on it at all despite having had ten years of hard use as a charter boat, and a further six years of more gentle use.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 21 2018, 01:38 »
The quick windlass case is aluminium, definitely not as good as ss.
Gunk from the chain sits next to the windlass and keeps salt water in constant contact with the windlass near the chain stripper. We regularly hose this out with fresh water but obviously not enough. I've been thinking of modifying the setup by cutting a thick sheet of aluminium and installing under the winch base. 
My original windlass only lasted 6 years, but during this time it was used heavily, mainly in med moorings where tension was often put on the chain before the snubber was attached. We also often deployed the anchor in deep water and used tension on the chain to keep the boat straight when leaving Med moorings in strong side winds. Only ever had one circuit overload and that was when we were retrieving the anchor in 35 kn winds at 2.00 in the morning, in 15 m of water during a thunderstorm. Fuse blew when anchor just below the surface.
I don't know how much wear I had on the gears when the windlass finally failed. The gears were stripped but this could have been totally caused by the sudden forces caused by the jammed chain.
Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: January 21 2018, 09:04 »
laatzu, where exactly were you thinking of mounting this windlass? Looking at the instruction manual and some pictures of the machine suggest it to be something a bit special requiring a rather unusual mounting arrangement. There are also suggestions that this windlass is for use at the stern, whereas most boats have them fitted forward, and also that this is a rope only windlass, i.e., no chain.
The attached link will take you to the installation manual
https://www.watski.se/archives/Manualer/QUICK/QUICK_BALDER_MANUAL.pdf

Also here are a couple of photos from advertisements:-

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 21 2018, 15:26 »
That type of windlass is normally used mounted on the stern for handling stern lines. An umusual requirement for a B38 sailing boat, but might be useful in some situations on a power boat of that size.

laatzu

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 17 2018, 20:41 »
Hi,

Yes, for stern installation (Example 1). Used a lot here in Finland / Sweden archipelago area where natural harbors are very popular (Example 2).

Laatzu