Author Topic: Adjustable bench saloon seat  (Read 6957 times)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Adjustable bench saloon seat
« on: January 03 2018, 22:50 »
I always wished a wider passage between the bench seat and the linear galley on my otherwise very comfortable Cruiser 39. Has anyone modified the bench to travel a few inches towards the table when not being used. I'm trying to find some hardware to make this modification. The bench seat will, of course, also need a base. Ideas anyone? Raph.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Adjustable bench saloon seat
« Reply #1 on: January 07 2018, 09:45 »
I'm also interested to hear if there is any modifications anyone has made. I actually have the opposite problem, bashing my knees on the table legs! Oh this is a B40 Cruiser 2009.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #2 on: January 07 2018, 17:21 »
I have both problems so would love a mod to slide it to the table when not in use and further back so anyone can sit in it when needed - not just very small people! However, would need to make a base for the box as it contains lots of food tins etc. I’m sure I’ve seen this very feature on another make of yacht somewhere.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 14 2018, 05:31 »
Looks like I may need to start thinking about this one and develop my own solution! I'll get back to the forum when I have something to show.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: January 14 2018, 10:07 »
I am thinking of alluminum slides, one on each side of the bench, something on these lines. I haven't thought about how to make them yet! 🤔
Perhaps 4 small nylon wheels will also help give a little clearance between the bench and the sole and share in supporting the weight of the bench.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: January 14 2018, 22:50 »
I am thinking of alluminum slides, one on each side of the bench, something on these lines. I haven't thought about how to make them yet! 🤔
Perhaps 4 small nylon wheels will also help give a little clearance between the bench and the sole and share in supporting the weight of the bench.

This idea looks good, may be PTFE sliders make the shift to the both positions sufficiently easy.  But you need also an easy fixation in both extreme positions and a separate floor in the bench so that the hardware in the bench doesn't shafe the cabin floor.

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: January 15 2018, 22:50 »
RE the aluminium slide rails - which is a really good idea.

Pickup trucks have adjustable load securing rails in the back.
it looks like some parts that can be easily modified to suit what you looking for, with spring loaded locking pins.
Also, because they are design for external fitting there shouldn't be a problem with corrosion.

search - Caravan and motorhome and commercial pickup parts retailers 

this is a USA supplier - just 1st good pictures found - but many UK suppliers
http://www.coretiedowns.com/product/tie-down-solutions/uni-trax-1000-2#
http://www.coretiedowns.com/wp-content/themes/core_products_USA/images/UniTrax-Siderail-Strap-w.png

I hope this helps

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: January 16 2018, 19:50 »
RE the aluminium slide rails - which is a really good idea.

Pickup trucks have adjustable load securing rails in back
Also, because they are design for external fitting there shouldn't be a problem with corrosion

I wouldn't put too much faith in them being corrosion proof unless they are made from marine grade stainless steel, and even that is not 100% corrosion proof, though arguably good enough.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: January 21 2018, 14:57 »
There are very good quality, ball bearing, slide rails for drawers available in any "Home Depot" like store. I just put some slides horizontally under my laser printer so I can retract it from it's inside-cabinet position easily (see pics). I am sure one can use those tracks for the bench, bigger size of course. There must be a locking device at each end-position, like a hook or so.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: February 11 2018, 06:21 »
Yes the base for the seat is a given. lots of pots and pans to scrape and jam!
I had in mind a pair of rails bolted across the bottom of the chair, recessed up a bit. Located so that they align with the fixed parts of the floor, so you can still get to the keel bolts. Then screw the roller cars (a pair per rail) to the floor so they locate the chair at each extreme. then use a single drop bolt in the center to lock in each position. The rail and roller cars would look something like these
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: May 10 2018, 22:25 »
Finally I found the time to do this modification with a simple solution! The bench now runs easily on 4 hard nylon skids placed at each corner. It will lock in place, in the seating position, with a pair of vertical sliding strips of wood that will replace the original arrangement that was part of the front of the bench. The slots on the new floor of the box structure are the guides and it the bench is held firmly to the floor with four coach screws. I will post final picture and more details later on ☺️

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: May 12 2018, 19:13 »
The two slides that secure the bench in a seaway are now in place.
99% ready! Still need to fabricate wooden covers for the fixing bolts and lacquer the bare wood.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 13 2018, 12:46 »
Nice!
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: May 13 2018, 13:26 »
Mine has two holes in the floor galley side where projections from the back of the seat are in. Did you make new holes in the floor for the vertical battens to drop into? Still trying to get my head round exactly how you have done this ! I would like to do the same!

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #14 on: May 13 2018, 14:33 »
No I haven’t made new holes at all. I just widened four existing holes that previously were for the screws that held down the two narrow strips of cabin flooring. This to accommodate the coach bolts into the stringers. These act as the posts for the bench to slide about 6” from port to starboard. The guides are the slots in the new bench floor. The battens slide vertically up and down into the existing slots. Of course this make the passage 15mm narrower when the bench is parked on the port side but I preferred to place the battens inside the seat base rather than outside. I’m considering cutting out matching slots to be able to park the bench on the starboard side. These will be hidden by the bench.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: May 13 2018, 18:59 »
Thanks John, just discussed this with the Boss, she says she wants more galley room but not extra legroom as we seldom have more than 4 on board. So might have to get the saw out and find some wood!

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #16 on: October 05 2021, 15:12 »
Finally I found the time to do this modification with a simple solution! The bench now runs easily on 4 hard nylon skids placed at each corner.

Wait, did your bench have a floor board or did you add it? Mine doesn't and is attached to the floor with four brackets.
How easy is it to move the bench forth and back? Doesn't it get stuck if you don't move it evenly?

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #17 on: October 05 2021, 22:56 »
The floor was added. It slides quite evenly. It locks in place with two battens that slide into the existing slots that originally secured the bench. Hope this helps.

kriselda

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 39
« Reply #18 on: October 08 2021, 02:10 »
Mine is just loose - was like that when I purchased the boat. Very easy to move around and it is just tied down while sailing  - as long as you remember to do it!

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #19 on: October 08 2021, 23:20 »
Kriselda, if your bench is completely free to slide it could be dangerous as well as damage the rest of your furniture. I used 4 coach bolts through the slots in the plywood base to allow sideways movement but won’t allow bench to lift. With the battens pressed down in the down position the bench will not go anywhere! It slides only about 6” towards or away from the table on 4 round nylon skids only when the battens are withdrawn from the slots in the cabin floor.