Author Topic: Anchor and Chain sizing  (Read 2520 times)

Hahser

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Anchor and Chain sizing
« on: December 28 2017, 17:17 »
I have a 10 year old Bavaria 42 cruiser bought 3 years ago used mainly Greece. (wt approx 10t)

On hauling out this autumn the boat yard guy commented that my anchor looked a bit small for the boat - its 18kg Kobra.
On reading various info I was also a bit scared that my chain is undersized at 6mm.

I did once have a problem with anchor drift but put it down to soft sand.

The chain is showing some rust so maybe I need to raid the piggy bank.

What do you old salts recommend?

Cheers
Hahser

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Anchor and Chain sizing
« Reply #1 on: December 28 2017, 17:25 »
20 kg and  60mtrs of 10mm chain [there is no substitute for mass] Geoff

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #2 on: December 28 2017, 18:17 »
Would update to a current generation anchor design, a scoop type (Rocna, Mantus, etc.) of appropriate size (manufacturer recommendation or one bigger).

For chain I would seriously consider going with stronger but smaller chain due to the enourmous weight savings. We (40 Ocean) have 8mm Grade 70, which is stronger than 10mm Grade 30/40 and saves a lot of weight in the bow (which means you can carry more chain). Remember that changing chain size means changing the very expensive windlass gypsy.

Also make sure you have the right technique for anchoring! I've seen a lot of people anchor very poorly (drop anchor, toss a bunch of chain right on top of it, leave the boat - then drag all over the place, derp). You want to dig it in and learn how (and when) to use a snubber at least.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #3 on: December 28 2017, 21:10 »
The wisest rule of thumb I have applied is that the anchor weight in lbs should be greater than the boat length in feet.... thus for your 42' yacht an anchor of more than 42lbs... ie at least 20Kg. Chain scope basic is 5:1, but if wind strength is high, put out more... to the "bitter end" ( the old Dutch tie off point, hence the expression)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 29 2017, 00:45 »
Guys,

The best size chain is actually the SMALLEST size that will not break. The catenary effect in winds above 25kn is a myth. The best thing to do is buy the largest anchor you can fit on the roller.

There is enough discussion on anchor type and anchor tests in Sailing Magazines to know that the so called CQR anchors are not good and most of the newer "fancy" designs are much better at holding but may be more prone to jamming with rocks or weed. The Fortress anchor has by far the best holding to weight ratio of any anchor but is prone to being fouled by rocks, weed and particularly other anchor chains.

We sat quite comfortably ( actually we were scared shitless) for 3 days in 50-75kn winds in the Bora in Croatia in our 6 week old Bavaria 38 in early 2010. We have a 23kg Kobra with 8mm chain. We deployed 60m of chain in 4 m of water then used the spare CQR ( plough) anchor on a short rode to decrease the yawing motion.

I've attached an article from Cruising Helmsman for reference.
Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 30 2017, 11:18 »
8mm chain - at least 50m with a further 30m of 14mm rope spliced onto it. Minimum 20kg anchor, although the Kobra will be OK for most holding. Worth considering a new generation anchor such as a Rocna or Manson, although you may have difficulty in fitting on your roller.

Soft sand is always difficult holding, although the roll bar style anchors tend to dig in quicker which may make holding better.