Author Topic: Nut Idendification  (Read 2875 times)

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Nut Idendification
« on: December 10 2017, 15:21 »
Would anyone happen to know the size / thread of the brass nut in the pictures please?
I was changing the plastic shower enclosure, dropped it and it is now under the water tank! (Gone)!  >:(
Tried fishing it out with a wire clothes hanger, no joy!

Thanks in advance.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Nut Idendification
« Reply #1 on: December 10 2017, 21:17 »
I will measure tomorrow, because I also have to replace the enclosure. Last time I measured a 32mm thread outside diameter. It's a fine thread, so I expect not a BSP thread, but a metric fine, maybe M32 x 1,5. I will let you know. I have to measure with a caliper, which you can also do if you have one.
Ger

Harry Brown

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: December 10 2017, 22:04 »
That's great thanks very much  :)

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: December 11 2017, 10:25 »
Yes, I can confirm, the nut is with thread M32 x 1,5. It is 6 mm high and keywhith 37 mm. However there is space enough to use a higher nut. Now I should not drop mine. Maybe first put a towel in the gaps to the diesel tank :-[ :-[.
Ger

Harry Brown

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: December 11 2017, 10:40 »
Brilliant! Thank you very much!
Yup good idea! I definitely won't be losing anything down there again! You live and learn I suppose!  :D

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: December 11 2017, 12:37 »
I just finished fixing mine. Job done without loosing the nut.
Ger

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: December 11 2017, 21:16 »
Maybe some help in fixing things.
In fact you don't need to unscrew things in the stern cellar of the boat. If you take the enclosure/cup with the valve out of the stern of the boat and move the three small hoses with the 2 white couplings of the warm and cold water pipe and the hose of the shower though the hole where the cup is fitted you can do all the work at the outside of the hull. The shower hose and the 2 white pipe couplings will pass the hole in the hull with some manoeuvring.
When all is worked out of the hole, first undo the couplings from the plastic pipes by pushing in the clamp ring around the pipe and at the same time pulling the pipe out of the coupling. Now you can easy screw the small hoses from the white coupling, so the M32 nut can pass the 3 couplings of the small metal hoses of the valve and the valve can be removed from the enclosure/cup.
Mounting of the new cup in the reverse following. No risk for dropping the nut under the tank, only a risk for dropping it in the water when the boat is still in the water. :)

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: December 12 2017, 07:00 »
Did a similar thing 2 months ago.
I couldn’t find one anywhere.
So I gave Penguin Engineering, Hayling Island a call. They were brilliant and had the exact same nut.
Delivered first class post and no charge. So I made a donation to the RNLI.