Author Topic: Replacement of worn sheaves in masthead  (Read 2967 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Replacement of worn sheaves in masthead
« on: July 31 2017, 07:51 »
I need to replace the main halyard and topping lift sheaves at the masthead for my B37. The documentation from Selden suggests that for the C211 series masts this is a relatively simple job and can be done without un-stepping the mast. Has anyone any experience of this task?

Also, I cannot (yet) find a components list for the sheave sizes - any help would be appreciated too  ???

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Replacement of worn sheaves in masthead
« Reply #1 on: August 04 2017, 10:40 »
Yes the sheaves lift straight out but how do you suspend yourself without a halyard!
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 04 2017, 12:55 »
Attached is the sheave list from Selden publication 59-808-E. If you get the mast serial number and send it to Jon Kimberley jon@contender.com.au, he can get all of the information you need to replace the sheaves. I have also attached some photos of the mast top.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

simonmoore

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: August 04 2017, 14:43 »
I had to replace one of the sheaves on my Bavaria 38 (2003).  In my case both sheaves had to be taken out together as they shared a common fixing plate/bracket.  This could not be be done whilst aloft as the topping lift sheave was required to go aloft on to inspect the main halyard.  I did not mind too much as I had recently purchased the boat so did a full overhaul at the same time.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: August 07 2017, 09:04 »
Thanks for the replies, photos and docs. I will leave this job to a rigger  :P as (mentioned earlier) once up the mast you will need to secure yourself to the top and release the halyards. It would have been a bonus if I had some steps up there though ::)