Author Topic: Oil leak in Volvo D1-30F Regulation System  (Read 4905 times)

westward

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 32
  • Boat Year: 2012
Oil leak in Volvo D1-30F Regulation System
« on: July 16 2017, 22:50 »
My Volvo D1-30F diesel has developed an oil leak near the throttle lever. Oil runs down the lever onto the fibreglass surround of the engine bilge. It's not a lot, about a teaspoonful every four hours or so.

After looking on the web I have decided the most likely culprit is the o-ring on the throttle lever shaft ; part no 4 in the MarinePartsEurope exploded diagram here :

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7746500-23-35201.aspx

Does anyone have experience replacing this part. I have a copy of the workshop manual but it does not include instruction for taking the regulation assembly apart and anyway is only for the D1-30 B which is different.

Any help appreciated.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Oil leak in Volvo D1-30F Regulation System
« Reply #1 on: July 17 2017, 00:21 »
I've had a similar leak in my D1-30F engine. The Volvo dealer repaired it at minimal cost. So, sorry, I can't assist with the procedure. I think the biggest cost was the gaskets.

I was also told by the Volvo dealer that the 5W 40 oils used in most engines are actually too thin when cold for tropical conditions and this leads to more oil leaks. The Volvo Dealer recommended 15 w 40 oil for warmer climes.

My engine ( new in 2010) has 2000 hours on it now and has had oil leaks from the crankshaft bearing, the throttle oil ring, and the oil bearing on the shaft of the salt water impellor. None of the leaks has been major, just annoying. I also spill a fair amount of oil when I remove the oil filter. Also had a water leak from the saltwater pump shaft as well.

It sounds as though you have your head around the engine issues. It is important to have no oil in the engine bilge so that a new leak can be identified quickly.

The Volvo engines are a bit of a let down in this department, especially when I have an old Mazda 2 car at home that now has 358,000km on the clock and never had an oil leak.

I'm currently waiting for the exhaust elbow to corrode through  where the salt water joins the exhaust system. Friends with similar engines claim this happens every 5 to 7 years. The Volvo wet exhaust system has also had the stainless steel componentry corrode through, it is now replaced with an all plastic Vetus system. 

The Volvo dealer also advised that over-filling the oil may cause more leaks than normal. The 2 lines on the dip stick are Max and Min lines, not Fill and empty marks. I have never over filled but have still had these leaks.

I'm not really knocking Volvo Penta engines, mates have had similar issues with Yanmar etc.

Craig
Shirley Valentine
Gold Coast
Australia

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: July 17 2017, 09:13 »
[quote author=Craig link=topic=1916.msg11814#msg11814 date=1500247299
..............I have an old Mazda 2 car at home that now has 358,000km on the clock and never had an oil leak.
[/quote]

Just an aside, but I was in Athens, Greece, quite a number of years ago and heading for the then new airport on the outskirts of the city in an elderly, very battered and tired Datsun taxi. I noticed that the odometer was showing some 999900 odd kilometres on the clock, and remarked to the driver that the car would soon pass the 1,000,000 k.

He laughed, and replied "it's been twice around the clock already !!"

As it happened the comment was tempting fate, the taxi broke down and didn't make it to the airport, and I had to get a lift from another. But that's not a bad innings for a car !

westward

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: July 18 2017, 08:06 »
I've had a similar leak in my D1-30F engine. The Volvo dealer repaired it at minimal cost. So, sorry, I can't assist with the procedure. I think the biggest cost was the gaskets.

I was also told by the Volvo dealer that the 5W 40 oils used in most engines are actually too thin when cold for tropical conditions and this leads to more oil leaks. The Volvo Dealer recommended 15 w 40 oil for warmer climes.

My engine ( new in 2010) has 2000 hours on it now and has had oil leaks from the crankshaft bearing, the throttle oil ring, and the oil bearing on the shaft of the salt water impellor. None of the leaks has been major, just annoying. I also spill a fair amount of oil when I remove the oil filter. Also had a water leak from the saltwater pump shaft as well.

It sounds as though you have your head around the engine issues. It is important to have no oil in the engine bilge so that a new leak can be identified quickly.

The Volvo engines are a bit of a let down in this department, especially when I have an old Mazda 2 car at home that now has 358,000km on the clock and never had an oil leak.

I'm currently waiting for the exhaust elbow to corrode through  where the salt water joins the exhaust system. Friends with similar engines claim this happens every 5 to 7 years. The Volvo wet exhaust system has also had the stainless steel componentry corrode through, it is now replaced with an all plastic Vetus system. 

The Volvo dealer also advised that over-filling the oil may cause more leaks than normal. The 2 lines on the dip stick are Max and Min lines, not Fill and empty marks. I have never over filled but have still had these leaks.

I'm not really knocking Volvo Penta engines, mates have had similar issues with Yanmar etc.

Craig
Shirley Valentine
Gold Coast
Australia

Craig,

My engine has a similiar number of hours. It also has a very slight oil leak from somewhere around the sump which I am pretending doesn't exist. i'm taking the boat out of the water this week and among other things getting the Volvo rep to replace the propeller oil seals. Maybe I'll ask themto do the oil leak too.

One question, I have never done or had done the longer term maintenance things like reset the tappet clearance and adjust the injectors. Have you done this or had it done. I've noticed that the motor has gradually got noisier and vibrates slightly more (motor vibration, not prop) and was wondering whether doing these maintenance jobs would improve it.

Sandy
SY Westward

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: July 18 2017, 10:09 »
I checked & adjusted the valve clearances when my D2-40 was 6 years old-it's a simple diy job. Only very minor adjustments required & it made no dicernable difference.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: July 18 2017, 11:39 »
If it's any interest, I did the tappets last year (2001/MD2030D) and the difference in noise level was very noticeable. A year on, it's back to being a bit clattery again although the next oil change (next week) will probably sort that. It has certainly been running more smoothly and still (fingers crossed) starts first touch of the button. I think it's worth doing and it's not a difficult job.
ATB

Mark

canuck

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 37cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2017
« Reply #6 on: July 18 2017, 23:10 »
Not sure if this is the same engine, but my 2017 D1-30 developed a small oil leak in the same area, and the agent said it was the seal at the bottom of the dipstick where it joins the sump.   He replaced it and all is well.  Not sure if it is an o-ring or gasket.
It is in the same general area as the throttle lever, so may be worth a look.
Nigel
Bav 37 Cruiser

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 19 2017, 01:13 »
The sump gasket on my D1-30 leaked from day one. The leak stopped for awhile by tightening the bolts on the sump. This worked for about 6 months.

Again, it appears that most of the oil leaks when the engine is cold. I have partially stopped this by using 15 W 40 oil, but would not recommend this in colder climates.

As mentioned earlier, the crankshaft oil seals seem to be particularly bad.

I'm wondering if people think it would be good if we did some sort of survey on maintenance issues we have had to determine common causes of problems. It may give Bavaria owners a heads up on what they may expect? The minor issues I have had, appear to be issues other people on this forum have already had. It is interesting to note that all the issues I have had to date , except for the insulation inside the fridge lid falling off, were not Bavaria manufactured parts.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast Australia

westward

• Second Mate
« Reply #8 on: July 22 2017, 13:46 »
The sump gasket on my D1-30 leaked from day one. The leak stopped for awhile by tightening the bolts on the sump. This worked for about 6 months.

Again, it appears that most of the oil leaks when the engine is cold. I have partially stopped this by using 15 W 40 oil, but would not recommend this in colder climates.

As mentioned earlier, the crankshaft oil seals seem to be particularly bad.

I'm wondering if people think it would be good if we did some sort of survey on maintenance issues we have had to determine common causes of problems. It may give Bavaria owners a heads up on what they may expect? The minor issues I have had, appear to be issues other people on this forum have already had. It is interesting to note that all the issues I have had to date , except for the insulation inside the fridge lid falling off, were not Bavaria manufactured parts.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast Australia

Craig,
You might have something there. There are at least two things I need to replace which I can't find. One is the binnavle hatch (see other post) the other is the ventilator (turned into a poppadom and disintegrated). I have had no luck getting any replies directly out of Bavaria. Maybe a joint effort would work.