Author Topic: Bow Thruster Motor Removal  (Read 3900 times)

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bow Thruster Motor Removal
« on: July 02 2017, 07:10 »
My Bavaria 42 year 2000 is fitted with a VETUS TSL 125A bow thruster. At least that is what it says on the motor cover.

I want to remove the electric motor and send it to a shop for maintenance.

Will I sink if I remove the motor while afloat or is there a seal below the motor flange?

Thanks for any guidance.

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bow Thruster Motor Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 03 2017, 05:28 »
I would very much doughy it but why not slacken the bolts as much as you can break the seal if is leaks they just re-tighten if not your laughing

Mike
Artemis

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: July 03 2017, 06:06 »
Hi Artemis and thanks for helping. I could do that but there is no guarantee that it would re tighten properly. OK it would be safe but see another thread of mine where I have a small leak in the engine raw water intake valve skin fitting.
That leak has nearly stopped and is now inconsequential but I will still rebed it next time Penelope is slipped.

artemis

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: July 03 2017, 07:22 »
Have you tried calling the company to ask there advice!

Mike
Artemis

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: July 03 2017, 07:35 »
Now that does make sense!!

artemis

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: July 03 2017, 09:59 »
sometimes its stares you in the face and you still cannot figure it it lol Know the feeling.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: July 03 2017, 10:13 »
Hi Pat,
I helped a friend last year with installation of his Vetus bow thruster, and whilst I haven't yet found specific information regarding your particular bow thruster, if it's anything like the drawing shown in the screen shot photos below, than you should be able to remove the motor without fear of water ingress.

The important thing is not to separate parts 7 and 8 which have the tunnel wall sandwiched between them, but simply to remove the motor from part 7. The drawing suggests there are four bolts which should be undone which secure the motor to the intermediate flange(part 7) or entablature, on top of the thruster tunnel. I don't remember specifically how many bolts were provided to secure the motor to the entablature on my friends boat, and his was a brand new installation, so things may have changed a little from when your bow thruster was installed, but I'm guessing not by much.

The motor shaft connects through a coupling (part 6 in the drawing) to the drive shaft for the thruster, so that connection which is located within the open space of the entablature will need to be loosened before the motor can be lifted off. You will of course also need to disconnect the electric cables from the motor terminals.

It's an easy enough job so long as you have enough space to get at the motor.

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: July 04 2017, 07:48 »
Thanks Salty and others.
Salty, my unit does look very similar to your attachments. I am now confident that the motor can be removed afloat.
Next challenge is to get some brushes for it. I will test out a couple of the charter companies and maybe use their supply line.
Thanks all.
Pat