Author Topic: Nasty gearbox noise  (Read 3072 times)

PhilB

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Nasty gearbox noise
« on: June 26 2017, 20:06 »
During the last 2 trips over 4 hours, towards the end of each trip we had a noise from the gearbox/leg that sounds like partially engaged gears. In neutral the noise stops. I suspected the cable to the gearbox was not holding fully engaged but checked this and looks ok. Noise disappeared once neutral selected and then put back in gear but not sure what to check. Oil is top of dipstick and clear. Any ideas?

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Nasty gearbox noise
« Reply #1 on: June 27 2017, 07:06 »
Hi There

What oil are you using in the gearbox!

Mke
Artemis

PhilB

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: June 27 2017, 10:08 »
Hi, 75/90 gear oil according to last invoice, there seemed to be some debate about using this or engine oil but apparently this was what came out when seals replaced,etc about 9 months ago.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 27 2017, 11:19 »
Hi, 75/90 gear oil according to last invoice, there seemed to be some debate about using this or engine oil but apparently this was what came out when seals replaced,etc about 9 months ago.

The only model of drive that uses gear oil is 120SE. All the rest use engine oil.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #4 on: June 27 2017, 15:18 »
In most marine G/boxes the gears are permanently engaged, so forward or reverse are selected by some sort of dog clutch. My guess, for what it's worth, is that it is a poorly adjusted selector cable. (as you thought)
Check it by disconnecting the cable from the G/box when it's hot and making the noise and see if it stops. If not, then engage forward and reverse by hand to see if you can stop/start the noise that way. If that does the trick just adjust the cable accordingly.

PhilB

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: June 27 2017, 17:07 »
Thanks for replies. I think all I can do is (as you say) wait until its making the noise and check/disconnect the cable. Annoying that its not doing it all the time - at least I could mend it then  :)
Might talk to the guys that changed the oil too if its supposed to be engine oil.....

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 27 2017, 18:03 »
You need to check whether your drive is a 120SE - it will be shown on the plate at the back of the box. If it is it is essential that you keep the gear oil rather than change to engine oil.

PhilB

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: June 27 2017, 21:12 »
Thanks Symphony, I'll check it before doing anything else.