Author Topic: Redundant Smart Heading Sensor?  (Read 2224 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Redundant Smart Heading Sensor?
« on: June 17 2017, 07:32 »
I recently upgraded my C70 chartplotter and Pathfinder Radar with the A9 series MFD and Quantum Radar. During my current passage the Heading went 90 degrees to starboard, out of line with the COG. At the time I was looking at my course/position on the MFD and realised it was a false report. Within 11 miles, and after trying to fix the problem, it then rotated 180 degrees and is now 'fixed' 90 degrees to port of my COG. There was no reference to 'Linearise Compass' in the operator's manual and, now in port, I have found a report which suggests I should either re-linearise with the old C70 or disconnect the Smart Heading Sensor. [see attachments].

I currently do not have my autopilot (SG2) connected to the new MFD and it looks like I need to this and disconnect the SHS ?

Having sold my old C70 the 'disconnect' option appears to be my only way out of this - has anyone else come across this issue and how was it resolved?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
Re: Redundant Smart Heading Sensor?
« Reply #1 on: June 17 2017, 19:06 »
Update
OK, as I had all my Raymarine installation manuals on board I spent the day reading them (boring). In the end it was relatively simple to solve this problem and was accomplished by: taking the SeaTalk connection out of the Smart Heading Sensor; disconnecting the 12v power supply between the power board and Tri-data display; connecting the second socket of the ST6002 autopilot controller into the SeaTalk socket of the Tri-data display (to provide 12v). When I get back into home waters I will fully recover the SHS and (now redundant) fluxgate compass.

Whilst I still need to do sea trials, marina-based testing shows all working as it should  ;D

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 18 2017, 06:39 »
A bit unhelpful of Raymarine not to have made all that clear in the original installation and set up manuals for the new instruments.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 18 2017, 07:07 »
I really should have done this when installing the Autopilot but it seemed to be easier (at the time) to let it work standalone. Now that I?ve upgraded the MFD that decision has been made for me by Raymarine  :o