Author Topic: Mystery Lamp  (Read 3510 times)

Paddy Turner

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2005
Mystery Lamp
« on: June 14 2017, 20:37 »
I have recently bought a Bavaria 32.
We are now going through the boat finding what everything does.
In this we have been very successful apart from a lamp on the 240vac board.
On this board to the left of the breaker is a green lamp underneath this lamp is an indicator which looks like 2 batteries with a lighting bolt between them.
Can someone please tell me what this lamp indicates.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Mystery Lamp
« Reply #1 on: June 15 2017, 18:47 »
Hi Paddy

Welcome to the forum.

For a definite answer, can you let us know which panel you have fitted? It should be written somewhere near the top edge. My guess is that when she is plugged into a shore supply, the green light will either tell you that there is mains power coming in or, more likely, it will indicate that the domestic batteries are being charged (perhaps when the breaker is switched on). The charger is possibly on a shelf under the chart table.
ATB

Mark

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 15 2017, 22:18 »
Also a photo of your panels, both 12 and 240 volts with a clear indication of the location of the mystery lamp in relation to other switches and instruments would help. Including a photo is easily done using the "Additional Options" shown below the response window.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: June 16 2017, 12:46 »
This light turns on when you are plugged to shore power.
Electrically it is before the main breaker so as long as you are plugged to shore it should be on even if the breaker is off.
This is at least how it is on my boat, and I am quite sure it functions the same on all models.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: June 18 2017, 07:06 »
This light turns on when you are plugged to shore power.
Electrically it is before the main breaker so as long as you are plugged to shore it should be on even if the breaker is off.
This is at least how it is on my boat, and I am quite sure it functions the same on all models.

Same on my B36(2002). The green light just indicates that the power line from shore is live up to that point.
You then have to switch on your mains breaker to use the power onboard, and at which point on my boat the mains breaker switch also used to turn on the battery charger, but that has since been changed with the incorporation of an illuminated rocker switch of the same type as that provided for the calorifier. This was in order that the battery charger would only turned on by a deliberate action to do so, and to maintain some sort of uniformity in regard to the switches used on the panel.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #5 on: June 18 2017, 16:34 »
My charger is on a shelf under the chart table. I just unplug it if I don't want it charging...
ATB

Mark

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 18 2017, 20:11 »
Mine was hard wired so did the same as Salty.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #7 on: June 18 2017, 22:54 »
Mine was hard wired so did the same as Salty.

Oh, OK. Mine has a desktop PC-type 3-pin so I can run it via the breaker or from the 240vAC socket with a cable. I live and learn.
ATB

Mark

Paddy Turner

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #8 on: June 25 2017, 15:59 »
The mystery lamp is to the left of the 240vac circuit breaker. (photo attached) My guess is that is something to do with the batterey charging system.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: June 25 2017, 17:09 »
My guess is that is something to do with the batterey charging system
No, as indicated before it is only indicating connection to shore power (disconnect your charger or simply turn off the main breaker and it should keep on as long as you are connected to shore power).
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #10 on: June 26 2017, 13:49 »
Hi Paddy

Yep, Lyra's correct. If you're connected to shore power, the light should be on even if the breakers are off.
ATB

Mark