Author Topic: folding Prop/feathering prop  (Read 3535 times)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
folding Prop/feathering prop
« on: June 03 2017, 21:01 »
Hi all I am debating changing my fixed blade prop on the Volvo saildrive after a vulcanising failure of my volvo prop last week.   I have been looking at both folding and feathering, in particular Brunton's or Kiwi both 3 bladed.  Any advise would be appreciated.   I have a B42 with the MD22 55 hp engine

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: folding Prop/feathering prop
« Reply #1 on: June 03 2017, 23:38 »
They are very different kinds of prop. The bruntons is self pitching so adjusts pitch to suit speed and conditions and generally results in lower RPM for a given speed. Main benefit is if you do a lot of motorsailing as it loads the engine better when part of the power to move the boat comes from the sails. Very expensive compared with others and the fuel saving will not cover the additional cost.

The Kiwi is the other end of the spectrum. Cheap and simple, but can be unreliable if not regularly cleaned and lubricated. Has a fixed steep pitch in reverse which can cause low speed problems in some applications.

The other alternatives are 3 blade folder such as FlexoFold or feathering such as Featherstream or Max Prop. The two former are similar price and perform well, with the Featherstream perhaps a bit better for motoring.

Drag reduction is much the same on all of them so you should expect a small improvement in speed under sail alone, mainly at lower speeds.

I have had FlexoFold on two boats - a 37  and now a 33. Both two blade and very satisfactory. You will need a 3 blade, but avoid the Volvo version as they are not as well made as others and can suffer from high anode wear (as can the Bruntons).

Hope this helps

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: June 04 2017, 01:50 »
I have the Kiwi prop on my B38.
If I recall correctly this prop was only suited for up to 50hp so would not be suitable for you.
I concur that the coarse pitch in reverse can give problems when engaging reverse but overall I'm still happy with it.
Mike

tckearney

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: June 04 2017, 19:14 »
Looking at the paint wear on the outer ring of the prop I removed, tells me that cone was turning without the propeller.  I have assumed that the splined shaft on the sail drive is uniform dia all along and not tapered.  I think I have attached a picture

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
« Reply #4 on: June 04 2017, 19:23 »
Was there not a delrin (plastic) washer between the two? The cone cannot turn if it is done up properly and the locking screw in place. The splined shaft is straight. However as the hub is rubber bushed there is likely to be a small amount of movement going in and out of gear or if you hit something.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: June 04 2017, 20:36 »
yes there is a white plastic washer.  Its strange that I lost drive at 1800RPM  was okay until I pushed it up.  An hour  or so later I lowered the drive to 1000 rpm and it was fine. I then just changed the prop and now seems okay.  However I have clamped the old prop in a vice and tried to turn the blades against the spline drive and all seems very tight.  I suppose by doing the test this way is not correct as I am driving the rubber into the prop housing with the vice.  Tried knocking the rubber and spline  shaft housing out of the aluminum prop housing but this also seems tight.  I am just trying to convince myself that it is the prop and nothing withing the sail drive.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: June 05 2017, 16:20 »
I have now bought a Brunton Auto feathering prop so watch this space.  Ill let you know the verdict.

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: June 18 2017, 13:09 »
Bought an Autoprop from Brunton's last year. Expensive but works great. Same speed forwards or backwards which is important in Greece for stern mooring and really keeps the speed up when motor sailing. Engine revs have dropped about 500. Only problem seems to be that the anode is a bit small but has lasted a year okay, If you have the recommended rope cutter there may be an electrical leak between the prop and the sail drive which may? mean the prop anode wears away but the one on the saildrive does not.
May not be as efficient as a folding/feathering prop when sailing, but for the cruising sailor I don't think the autoprop can be beaten.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: June 19 2017, 08:26 »
Thanks TRUNDELTRUC   I am looking forward to fitting it and seeing the results. 

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
« Reply #9 on: June 19 2017, 12:49 »
tckearney. Hi. I posted this some time ago on the Brunton having written it for the BOA news letter. You may find it interesting.

http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1199.0;attach=1372

Regards.

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 26 2017, 21:39 »
I fitted a Darglow feathering prop and am very pleased with it, the fixing means it will never accidentally come off.  I went for the feathering as I like the fact that the gearing is totally enclosed from the elements.  I have seen folding props fail to open because of a small crustacean.  I also had a folding prop fail to open on a friends boat after picking up a rope,  the prop was turning and rope free from prop shaft but the weight of rope on the folding prop blades meant it would not open.  Hope that helps.