Author Topic: Fuel gauge cycling 0-100%  (Read 2507 times)

Algy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2016
Fuel gauge cycling 0-100%
« on: May 30 2017, 20:52 »
I've had a problem with engine stalling on a 2016 B37. We had the engine serviced at the berth a few days previously and motored around to the boat hoist for a power wash and anode check. This was without incident. We were dropped back in the water and after reversing away from the hoist, the engine stalled and there was a clicking noise with the fuel gauge going from 100% to 0% every second or so. The engine started again but didn't run smoothly and repeatedly stalled. After tying up, we ran in neutral for a while, then motored smoothly back to the berth without incident. Then the fuel gauge started clicking again - but in this instance, it's possible I had not turned the ignition off after stopping the engine.
I would normally expect stalling to be a fuel/air problem and I can take that up with the marina services company, but the fuel gauge problem is something else. Any ideas?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Fuel gauge cycling 0-100%
« Reply #1 on: May 30 2017, 22:46 »
After the engine service, did you check that the fuel supply valve was opened before motoring around for your power wash and anode check? It can be surprising how long the engine will run for even with a shut fuel supply valve. I've managed in excess of four hours, while another contributor to this forum has achieved in excess of twenty four hours, though the engine does not always run smoothly during those occasions.

Sen Mora

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 01 2017, 20:02 »
When I bought my B41(2003) 5 years ago, fuel gauge was showing full. After couple of weeks the gauge was still full, suspicious of nature, I opend the tank clean-out cover to find out nearly empty (39 gal into 40 gal tank at nearest fuel dock). European sender fails to full (reverse to amercan).
But I presume you are sure you have fuel. In my case gauge or no gauge I log all my engine hours after each filling, estimates of consumption vary maybe 5%.
Good luck.

Algy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 23 2017, 22:30 »
I got to the bottom of this, or rather the dealer did. It's a faulty MDI panel. This has now been replaced under warranty and it's all fine.
There's been a faulty batch of MDIs which are being replaced by Volvo as required - this is not however, an official recall. So no one will be contacted, and it's only when problems arise that you will be told, and I guess that's only if you go via a Volvo dealer.
This is a Volvo Penta D1-30F, manufactured in 2015, fitted in a boat commissioned in 2016. But this panel is fitted on a large range of engines.