Author Topic: Teak in cockpit  (Read 6335 times)

Leo

• Swab
  • 34 / 2001 / 3 cabin
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
Teak in cockpit
« on: May 27 2017, 06:34 »
Hi, I have a query about the teak in the cockpit of my Bavaria 34 Cruiser (2001).  When I bought the boat recently all the teak was coated with some sort of brown polyurethane lacquer finish.  A lot of it was peeling off and it looked terrible.  It was also really slippery.  Was this an original Bavaria surface or something a previous owner would have applied?  A am now about half way through peeling off the lacquer.    It is gradually fading to the nice weathered grey teak colour.  Once all the lacquer is off should I apply anything to protect the timber?  The boat lives in a tropical area with a lot of rain and humidity and I really don't want the teak to get damaged.  Regards Leo

KiwiBeanie

• Second Mate
Re: Teak in cockpit
« Reply #1 on: May 27 2017, 07:02 »
The teak should be left uncoated. I am pretty sure it left the factory with no coating.

Natural is the way to go....

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: May 27 2017, 07:08 »
hi
of all the reviews i have read wessex 2 part teak cleaner and semco teak sealer, gets the best reviews. i know of people using this on superyachts as well. i have bought the products, but havent yet tested as i need to complete other works first.

regards

Abby

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #3 on: May 27 2017, 09:31 »
Hi Leo

I've also got a 34/2001 and the teak should not be coated or painted in anything. I have teak decks that get covered in nasty green muck during our wet UK winters and use the Wessex cleaner and sealer. It does an excellent job but note that when you clean teak,  always brush across the grain. It's a mix of soft and hard fibres and brushing in the direction of the grain will gradually wear away the soft leaving a rather coarse surface.

The 34's are a great boat. Enjoy!
ATB

Mark

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 27 2017, 10:48 »
If you want the teak to last, don't ever use a stiff brush on it!  The best way to keep it looking natural is to apply Boracol two or three times a year.  This is a clear liquid which contains an algaecide and a fungicide - it stops the teak going green in winter and prevents the tiny black mould spots which people think are dirt.  Some people recommend the cheaper Patio Magic, which does a similar job, but Boracol is a better product.  I used Boracol for many years on my Hallberg Rassy's deck and sprayhood, with excellent results.  If the teak needs washing, only use a sponge and sudsy water.  The proprietary teak cleaners all tend to remove a thin layer of wood, so should be used with caution.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #5 on: May 27 2017, 20:03 »
Thanks, Tiger79 - I've not heard of Boracol before. I'll give it a go as, unlike HR's, I don't think Bav teak is of the highest quality (or thickness) so anything more gentle than Wessex is worth a try. I do use a brush for cleaning but it is very very soft.
ATB

Mark

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 27 2017, 22:38 »
Thanks, Tiger79 - I've not heard of Boracol before. I'll give it a go as, unlike HR's, I don't think Bav teak is of the highest quality (or thickness) so anything more gentle than Wessex is worth a try. I do use a brush for cleaning but it is very very soft.

Boracol serves a different purpose from the Wessex cleaner. The active ingredient in the latter is oxalid acid and is not aggressive in the sense that it will harm the wood at the strength recommended. Its main advantage is that it lifts dirt and stains out of the surface so is useful as a cleaner (as it claims). brush it it then wash off with a nose and you will be amazed how much dirt flows out with the water.

Boracol, on the other hand is a mould killer and is applied then left to dry. Used regularly it prevents, or reduces the build up of mould and dirt.

So, they are complementary rather than substitutes and if your teak is really dirty from atmospheric fallout, Wessex is the way to go.

The teak on your vintage boat is very durable. I had a 2001 37 used as a charter boat in the med where it was abused with regular pressure washing - just like you are not supposed to do and when I sold it after 13 years the teak was still sound apart from a small area of the seam in the depressions where water always collected.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #7 on: May 28 2017, 09:44 »
Thanks for the further info, Symphony. Parked in soggy Plymouth, in the inner harbour next to a busy 'greasy spoon', it's a constant battle to keep the greenery off everything. I'll give it a try.
ATB

Mark

Leo

• Swab
  • 34 / 2001 / 3 cabin
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: May 28 2017, 11:44 »
Thanks for all the replies and advice.  I'm not sure if Wessex 2 part teak cleaner and Semco teak sealer is available in Australia.  I will do some research.  So far we haven't had any mould or algae issues. Regards Leo

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #9 on: May 28 2017, 13:55 »
I've been treating my decks with Lidl/Baufix Mould killer, £1.99 per spray bottle (it's an "special buys" item, not regular stock). Takes less than one bottle for the deck plus toerail. Removes mould and algae and keeps them away for a year. Been doing this a few years now and recommended it to several berth neighbours, all of which are delighted with it. Usually give the deck a gentle scrub with freshwater and a soft(!) brush to get the other dirt off before applying the spray.

"Professional" teak restorer products are presumably what destroyed the caulked seams along the cockpit trim and deck (not deck caulking) on my boat, possibly due to incorrect application, so I will steer well clear of those.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #10 on: May 28 2017, 16:49 »
Coincidentally, I happened on this PBO article today. Interesting read...

http://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/the-truth-about-teak-decks-27622
ATB

Mark

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #11 on: May 28 2017, 18:53 »
Thanks for all the replies and advice.  I'm not sure if Wessex 2 part teak cleaner and Semco teak sealer is available in Australia.  I will do some research.  So far we haven't had any mould or algae issues. Regards Leo

There are many other teak cleaners on the market, mostly using oxalid acid. All the boat cleaning materials brands have them. The main reason why Wessex is recommended in the UK is because it is made by an industrial chemical blending company and is typically half the price of branded stuff but comes out near the top in tests of effectiveness.

Similarly there are other mould killers and supressants on the market, but again Boracol is effective and does not carry the boating premium in its price.

artemis

• First Mate
« Reply #12 on: June 02 2017, 10:43 »
Hi
I've a 34 2001 buckets of salt water thats the best stuff for Teak

Mike
Artemis

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #13 on: June 05 2017, 09:36 »
Just use diluted oxalic it's what in in all the brands.
Odysseus
Bavaria 38
Odysseus

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #14 on: October 18 2021, 10:53 »
Going to attack this old topic.

I'm going to renew the caulking in the cockpit the upcoming winter and would like to keep the teak looking good for a while. I have not used any oils on the teak, just washed them with a teak cleaner once a year. The boat is docked by a factory (which doesn't pollute ;) ) and the teak gets really dark (the gelcoat is easy to keep clean, but I don't like to scrub the teak that much). On my last boat I made the mistake of oiling the teak and that was a disaster. I don't want to do that mistake again. The oiled teak just acted like a magnet for all kinds of dirt.

Have you guys tried any teak sealer or similar? Do they help keeping the teak fresh-looking?

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #15 on: October 18 2021, 12:01 »
I have occasionally used Semco teak sealer - not oil-based product, but forms some kind of water & dirt repelling film that wears away in about one season.

https://www.semco-online.com/

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #16 on: October 18 2021, 16:49 »

Have you guys tried any teak sealer or similar? Do they help keeping the teak fresh-looking?

Semco is the stuff to use.  I used it on my cockpit table and companionway teak about 3 years ago.  It's still looking good!  It's available in different colours, I used the Natural which just has a faint yellow tinge.

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #17 on: October 28 2021, 08:42 »
If you want to keep the teak natural-looking, saltwater does a darn good job.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

artemis

• First Mate
« Reply #18 on: November 11 2021, 11:09 »
Just throw a bucket of salt water over it every now and then and leave it alone

Rgds
Mike
Artemis