Author Topic: Liferaft mounting Bavaria 44  (Read 4124 times)

Jezza

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2002
Liferaft mounting Bavaria 44
« on: August 12 2012, 10:15 »
Hi
I have just bought a canister liferaft and am planning on mounting it in a cradle on the cabin roof - on top of the separate section that the companionway hatch slides into.
There isn't enough room on the transom, and I don't have space on the pushpit railings.

This is stupid question I'm sure, but I'm fairly new to boat owning, so have never mounted anything similar.......
Can I screw directly into this section of GRP to secure the cradle brackets, or do I (as I suspect), need to remove the section of roof - after removing the whole main sheet traveller, and bolt it on?

Thanks
Jezza

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: Liferaft mounting Bavaria 44
« Reply #1 on: August 12 2012, 18:33 »
Have done this myself. You are correct that the section has to come off after removing the traveller. I used bolts but put the nuts on the topside to give clearance for the sliding hatch. The traveller has two long bolts hopefully these aren't corroded.

Jezza

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: August 14 2012, 09:40 »
Thanks Moodymike

AndyPandy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 17 2012, 10:57 »
Hi Jezza,

Hope your enjoying the boat.

I understand it may be crowded on the pushpit rail but i think its still best place for the raft.

Mounting on garage roof as you plan, may become a hazard if you gybe unexpectantly. The mainsheet will momentarily go slack, may go under said liferaft, then when it goes tight again, ping the raft off the cradle.

Just a thought but it made me make room on the rail for ours

Good luck whatever you decide

Andy