Author Topic: Battery monitor Victron BMV-700  (Read 2259 times)

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
Battery monitor Victron BMV-700
« on: May 04 2017, 19:15 »
Hello,
I need a little help! I want to install a battery monitor Victron BMV-700. Everything is nearly clear, but where shall I connect the shunt? There are 2 housebatteries and 1 starterbattery, they are all connected at minus. From the left housebattery the minus goes to the thruster. Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks, Klaus from Germany

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: Battery monitor Victron BMV-700
« Reply #1 on: May 04 2017, 22:18 »
Hello, it is rather simple:
Connect the two minus of the house batteries to the correct side of the shunt and the other side of the shunt to the minus of the starter battery and the thruster.
Then, the shunt measures only the house batteries current flow.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 05 2017, 11:25 »
Connect the two minus of the house batteries to the correct side of the shunt and the other side of the shunt to the minus of the starter battery and the thruster.
Then, the shunt measures only the house batteries current flow.

Hi Klaus

As Domi409 says, it is very straightforward. However, if there is a link cable included with the monitor, bin it and get one made up to the same size as the battery cables. The included link may be adequate but IMO, it's better to be 'more than adequate'. I've just installed a Clipper BM1 and the supplied link was <25% the area of the existing cables. The more technically minded folks on the forum may say I'm being overly cautious but it let's me sleep at night.
ATB

Mark

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 06 2017, 15:01 »
Hi,
thanks a lot! This is the right way to fix it. I ordered a batterycable 95 mm2 and will connect it like you told me.