Author Topic: Saildrive zincs removal  (Read 2593 times)

Sen Mora

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
Saildrive zincs removal
« on: April 27 2017, 23:12 »
Hello,
I am trying to replace the zincs on the saildrve ( B41 2003 ), especially the collar one is in poor shape. To do it I have to get off the conical zinc and the propeller. I managed to loosen the 3 nuts and the small sleeve (picture enclosed) but pretty much stuck now. I am not familiar with this attachment system so I wonder if someone has the same and can advise what should be the next steps to get it off.
Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Saildrive zincs removal
« Reply #1 on: April 28 2017, 00:23 »
That is not a standard fixing. It should be just a simple bolt with a socket head, which you unscrew while holding the propeller fixed, usually by jamming with a wooden block against the hull. The screw comes out, unscrew the cone with a bar in the hole and the propeller slides off the splined shaft. Think you will have to lock the two inner nuts together so that you can undo the screw. Note that there should be a plastic washer, it is important this is replaced. When the prop is off the anode is held onto the housing with two cap screws.

Replace in reverse order and when the cone is tight insert the long locking screw and do up tight. suggest you replace it with a new one - the Volvo one has a locking adhesive inserted in the thread or you can use loctite.

Sen Mora

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: April 28 2017, 12:28 »
Thank you for reply.
I have tried both, tightening 2 nuts and trying to loosen the screw also using a bar in the hole of the zinc trying to unscrew it (don't know if the zinc is screwed or just slid on). In both cases I used a pice of wood to jam propeler against the saildrive leg. I could not get it budged, I did see the traces of locktite. I did apply quite a bit of pressur with bar in zinc a bit more difficult on 2 nuts on screw as they are relatively small. Do you know if there is a necessery order of this 2 actions or it does not matter?
Thank you again, best regards.

heywoodp

• Second Mate
  • Bavaria 38 Ocean 2000
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 28 2017, 17:18 »
The rod needs to be unscrewed before the cone. Attached is a pic of the same on my Bav38 after unscrewing the rod but before removing it. The 2nd pic shows the shaft after the zinc collar has been removed

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 28 2017, 23:04 »
The cone is not the anode. The anode is the ring behind the prop and is attached to the saildrive housing. The screw with the nuts on the end screws into the end of the shaft to lock the cone. The cone screws onto the outside of the shaft. You cannot do anything until you remove the long screw that goes through the cone. Remove the nut on the end if you can and lock the other two then use a spanner with a long lever. It may help to use some penetrating oil.

Sen Mora

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: April 29 2017, 15:35 »
Many thanks to both for a very useful info. Boat is now on hard in Caribbean until late fall, I will work on it then.