Author Topic: Diesel Tank, unused fittings.  (Read 2747 times)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Diesel Tank, unused fittings.
« on: April 26 2017, 17:15 »
On top of my diesel tank (150 L, under stb. bed) are two unused fittings connected with a (former) clear PVC hose. Are those fittings to be used to connect a diesel heating system ? do they have a pipe going down all the way to withdraw fuel ?
Thanks for any hints.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Diesel Tank, unused fittings.
« Reply #1 on: April 26 2017, 19:09 »
I have used mine for both, one supplies fuel to heater, the other is used to test fuel for bugs and water.

Search this site for me post and you will see it there.
Hope this helps

Odysseus
Bav38
Odysseus

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #2 on: April 27 2017, 13:56 »
Thank you for the info. Takes one piece of work away at installation of diesel heater.
I plan to install th PLANAR 44D   http://www.autoterm.cz/en/2-produkty  equipment. Originally made in Russia. If cars need heating this is the place !! Looks originally like Eberspächer, supposedly all spares fit. Meanwhile they have many dealers in Germany and the main EU outlet is in CZ.

The Bav. 38 seems to be prepared for a heater, there is a dummy panel by the electric panel and an outlet cover under the sofa.
My plan however is to heat every compartment, incl. bathroom. Do you have experience if this is to much, considering people sleeping in bow or stern cabin and having door closed and only the salon is heated. Lots of hose pipe laying of course.

NB: Is your website dead or changed?
Greetings
Horst

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: April 27 2017, 15:27 »
Hi Horst

Although I have a B34, I have an Eberspächer with 4 outlets, one in each 'room' (forecabin/saloon/aft cabin/heads) and it copes very well. Not quite as much volume so perhaps for you, 2 outlets in the saloon . The outlet in the saloon is always open but the other three outlets can each be closed. It is very effective at heating the whole boat if required and works well on cold mornings. I can confirm that there are a LOT of pipes!
ATB

Mark

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 27 2017, 18:51 »

My plan however is to heat every compartment, incl. bathroom. Do you have experience if this is to much, considering people sleeping in bow or stern cabin and having door closed and only the salon is heated. Lots of hose pipe laying of course.

It certainly isn't too much - having outlets in each cabin plus the heads works very well.  Having an outlet in the heads is particularly appreciated in cold weather!

For best results, pay particular attention to smooth ducting runs, and insulate the ducting to minimise heat loss.

The Planar heater is cheap because it's fairly basic.  It needs more electrical power than most modern heaters, and it doesn't adjust automatically to heating requirements.  I had a Webasto AirTop Evo fitted in my boat, because it automatically varies the burn rate and fan speed to maintain a selected temperature; once the boat is up to temperature, the heater drops down to a lower rate (much quieter) to maintain the desired temperature.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #5 on: April 27 2017, 19:48 »
tiger79.
Thanks for your feedback; interesting.
Do you have any personal experience regarding the PLANAR heaters.
I just studied the repair manual, the fan for instance is PWM controlled, not simple on/off. The heating output is variable between 1-4 kw, the airflow is variable between 70 - 120 cubic m/h, power consumption similar to Webasto, ignoring the maximum levels which are not regular operational values. The control panel is digital with LCD display for temp. indication/setting and includes a temp sensor. The price is just tempting. I'm listening to all serious advice and experience inputs from others.
Greetings
Horst