Author Topic: Stuck / Seized turnbucles  (Read 2736 times)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Stuck / Seized turnbucles
« on: April 24 2017, 13:41 »
B40 vintage 2000 launched this weekend. While rigging her, we came up with two stuck turnbuckles, both 3/4 inch leading to cap shrouds.

Tried WD-40 and managed to tighten one to predetermined setup, but the second one could not be tightened enough. The turnbuckle is not completely stuck / galled, but can be rotated in 1/4 turn increments until it does not move any tighter.

Any ideas? My plan for the next days would be
1 - ATF+Acetone mix as penetration oil as found during my google searches on stuck screws
2 - If penetration oil + time + 1/4 turn back&forth movements don't help it is time to use the miracle of blowtorch and thermal expansion

Will report back later during this week...

Would anyone know the material of original turnbuckles? SS on SS or SS on bronze?

Thanks in advance,

Tommi

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
Re: Stuck / Seized turnbucles
« Reply #1 on: April 24 2017, 14:21 »
My 2001 40ocean was ss on ss ,changed to bronze on ss. Geoff

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 25 2017, 04:44 »
Once you get the turnbuckles moving, make sure you coat the threads with TefGel . This will ensure that it does not seize up again.
TefGel should be applied every time you move any of the fittings.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #3 on: April 25 2017, 11:43 »
Not sure what the original Hasselfors turnbuckles where made of - I re-rigged in 2015 with Sta-Lok chromed bronze. I used standard 3-in-1 oil for lubricating them during setup and adjustment. Sounds like you might have damaged threads though the way you describe it, possibly from previous galling, in which case you should take the turnbuckle apart (support mast with halyard, obviously), have a look inside and at least replace the turnbuckle body, stud or both depending on what you find.

Your rig is quite old if original and if key parts are starting to act up I'd at the very least have a thorough inspection of all parts and consider replacing it. Insurances tend to get fidgety at about 10 years and really dislike >15 year old rigs.

Selden sells a rigging screw oil specific for the purpose. If you're going to spend silly money on goop, buy that instead of Tef-Gel, which is ill suited for that purpose due to high stickyness attracting dirt and keeping it in the threads. The oil is applied before making adjustments and washes away in the next rain (bronze fittings do not require anti-seize lubricants as they do not gall).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 25 2017, 14:18 »
Thanks for all inputs so far!

Too bad to hear from Geoff that the turnbuckles are most likely SS on SS.

Off to boat to apply some home-brew penetration oil - I'll let You all know on thu-fri if the oil did it's magic.

Tommi

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 27 2017, 18:50 »
Today I had a chance to try if two days of slowly creeping ATF-acetone mix would help...

I managed to open the turnbuckle completely (while using spi halyard as a temporary shroud). I cleaned all components  thoroughly and found some galling-like damage in the wire-crimped stud end. To avoid delay in season start I screwed the barrel part as deep as possible to the lower stud before inserting the well lubricated top stud.

All and all... The rig is now up but I know I have to replace the turnbuckles most likely for the next season. Looks like the original Hasselfors turbuckles are SS studs on SS barrel.

Thanks again for all inputs.