Author Topic: Air Flow  (Read 2743 times)

jcc1653

• Swab
Air Flow
« on: April 20 2017, 16:58 »
Hey all!  I am looking at purchasing a Bavaria that will be a full time cruiser, sailed predominantly in the southern US/Carribean for a while, including hot summer months.  My greatest concern is air flow...how do these boats breathe?  Is there a good amount of air flow through the hatches and ports?  It appears that other brands have more hatches and ports and might do better...Thanks for the help and input!

Also, how hard is it to find replacement parts for 99 Bavs?

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Air Flow
« Reply #1 on: April 20 2017, 19:14 »
What boat are you considering? You say '99 boats but no model specified....

It might help to say that I have owned 3 Bavarias, all in the Caribbean. A 2005 Cruiser 42, 2010 Cruiser 35 and currently a 2014 Vision 46.

All are fine for ventilation in the trade winds if on anchor when the bow is into wind by definition. Breeze boosters (small tent like attachments) on the forward hatch help too. We liveaboard our 46 Vision for the winter months and hardly ever use aircon unless in  a marina where it is potluck if the bow faces the wind or not and no boat will have good airflow no matter how many hatches/ports open if the bow isn't facing the wind......
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 20 2017, 21:10 »
Agree with comments above. Our Bav was in the Caribbean for 8 years, and it was fine but Breeze Boosters are a must.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 20 2017, 21:19 »
Agree with comments above. Our Bav was in the Caribbean for 8 years, and it was fine but Breeze Boosters are a must.

Horizon right?
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 21 2017, 00:25 »
Solely depends on the model, not the manufacturer as to which boat is coolest.

My 2010 model Bavaria 38 has numerous opening hatches and the side windows also open up. It is probably the coolest boat of this size that I have seen.

In the forward cabin it makes a big difference as to how you sleep in winter as opposed to summer. In winter we sleep with our heads towards the bow, in summer, our feet are towards the bow.

We also picked up some USB fans from Carrefours in Greece a few years ago for 12 euros each. Much better and quieter than the $120.00 fans sold in Chandleries in Australia.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

jcc1653

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: April 21 2017, 21:09 »
Thanks for the feedback...its a 46 ft Bavaria Holiday.  There are only 2 hatches in the fore cabin, 2 hatches in the mid ship, and one small cock pit facing port in the aft cabins.