Author Topic: Carrying a rubber dinghy on the Stern of a Cruiser 33 . 2013  (Read 2449 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Hi

I would like to use  an inflatable dinghy but I do not have room for Davits because of my Hydrovane. I have considered strapping the inflatable  onto the stern of the boat . Has anybody made something suitable  .   I have a fold down transom/bathing platform .
Not sure whether it would be sensible to travel with stern down and dinghy sitting on bathing platform or to make something that would allow the boat stern to be closed with the dinghy sitting on its stern with the bow pointing to the sky . I thought about something that would clip over the transom seat and rest against the transom with a lip/bracket that the inflatable stern could rest in . The bow of the dinghy would then be tied to the boat. Any ideas or thoughts good or bad would be much appreciated.

Regards Tony Revell   Cruiser 33

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Hi Tony, have you looked at these types?

http://www.snapdavit.co.uk/inflatables/

My friend has a Jeanneau and uses them very successfully. Admittedly they don't have a fold down swim platform on the Jeanneau but you could probably fit these below the swim platform and swing the dinghy up and down with the platform closed

I cruise live-aboard for half the year and the most common sight with fully inflatable dinghies (or small RIBS) is stowage on the foredeck when underway and hoisted on a spare halyard alongside the toe rail when at anchor overnight for security....
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Don't think it can be done. Mounting the dinghy vertically will mean the bow is at least 8' above the waterline. Horizontal is possible without the Hydrovane. Snap davits will not work as they need a platform for the dinghy to land on - they were designed for MOBOs that have a bathing platform but can work on some yachts with  a wide sugar scoop. The only practical method (without the Hydrovane) is a pair of swivelling, removable davits such as Plastimo and Cooney sell.

BTW how is your Hydrovane mounted?

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Thank you for your reply. The Hydrovane is mounted off centre on the port side of the stern .  I have been experimenting today and I think you are right the Avon Redstar I own is too long to lay horizontally and really to high when mounted in an up right position. I guess I will have to carry it deflated on deck . Or tow it

Regards Tony   Cruiser 33 Pegatha