Author Topic: German Sheeting System - Continued  (Read 4611 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
German Sheeting System - Continued
« on: March 15 2017, 20:38 »
I have been experimenting with my version of the german sheeting system, with some success. I love it!!
I would now like to make the set-up more permanent, which includes attaching a block to the baseplate of the shrouds on the deck.
I am proposing to drill and tap an eye-bolt through the base plate, and deck and into the plate below. (see first photo attached)
I have seen something similar to what I am proposing, on another Bavaria yacht, a few years ago, but the photo I took of this set up (see second attachment), doesn't show how it was done, only where it was.
Before I contact Bavaria directly, I would like to draw on the collect forum experience for any experience with this matter. Has anyone see or done this before?
As i am being cautious with any alterations to such an an important structural component like this, I would like any comments to be kept to direct experiences and observations of what i am proposing, and not speculation of what could go wrong.
Thank you in advance to this great Bavaria forum.

Steven
Konan the bavarian

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Re: German Sheeting System - Continued
« Reply #1 on: March 16 2017, 17:08 »
This is the first message I have seen . What size boat are you putting it on . I have a Cruiser 33 which I would really like to install on but I have been told the boom is not strong enough.

Regards Tony   Pegatha Cruiser 33

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2017, 20:38 »
Konan is a 2006 B37Cr.
The second photo in my previous post which shows the modification that I  am proposing, was on a B42.
Cheers
Steven

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 17 2017, 03:53 »
Hey Steven,

I can't help with the best way to modify things, but wanted to make a couple of related comments:

1. I have a 2009 B31 Cruiser that I bought new from Bavaria with the German Main system. We love it, and the boom would have been the same with or without that system. So Tony, I'm not quite sure how/why your boom would be deemed not strong enough?

2. I'm am out of town so can't confirm, but your photo #2 looks like exactly like my system, so that too was, I think, as purchased from Bavaria. I wonder if you could buy a couple of those SS plates from Bavaria with the integrated eyelets and then swap them out for yours?

Hope the modification goes well. It's a great system, so worth the hassle.

Riyad
s/v Battuta
Vancouver, Canada

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: March 17 2017, 09:36 »
Thank you Riyad,
Thank for your comments, that was heartening.
Is there any chance you could take a close up photo of the base plate and the block fitting on the base plate?
cheers
Steven

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 17 2017, 12:05 »
Wouldn't the easist solution for the block be to mount it on the front end of the genoa track with a fixed track slider?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 17 2017, 14:23 »
This is the first message I have seen . What size boat are you putting it on . I have a Cruiser 33 which I would really like to install on but I have been told the boom is not strong enough.

Regards Tony   Pegatha Cruiser 33

The 33 has a boom designed for the sheet take off at the end, not part way along. Having said that the 34 twin wheel version has a German mainsheet so it may be worth investigating whether that system can be used on the earlier boats.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: March 21 2017, 00:07 »
The sheet leaves the boom at the forward end of the boom, so that part works fine.

To install a fixed mount on the forward end of the genoa track was a good idea, i had not thought of that. I had a look at this option on the weekend, but as i race the boat, feedback from the crew was that the sheet would come too far aft, and it would interfere with their movement from rail to rail as they across the deck.

So still looking at the option of fixing block to lower shroud baseplate.

Any photos of existing installations would be appreciated. Any photos? Anyone?

battuta

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: March 21 2017, 09:21 »
I am away from Vancouver Steven, but should be able to take and upload a photo of our installation this coming weekend...

Riyad

battuta

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: March 27 2017, 06:31 »
Here is a picture of the factory installation on our 2009 B31 Cruiser.

Steven, seems to me your best bet would be to obtain a couple of these SS base plates with a built in attachment point from Bavaria and replace yours with them. I think the bolt pattern even looks the same...

Hope this helps.

Riyad

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #10 on: March 27 2017, 07:53 »
Here is a picture of the factory installation on our 2009 B31 Cruiser.

Steven, seems to me your best bet would be to obtain a couple of these SS base plates with a built in attachment point from Bavaria and replace yours with them. I think the bolt pattern even looks the same...

Hope this helps.

Riyad

If all you are looking for is somewhere to attach that bottom block, then it appears there may be enough space on that deck fitting between where each of the bottlescrews for the mast shrouds are attached, to be able to drill the vertical plate and fit an eyebolt. You can then shackle your bottom block to the eyebolt, and that way you won't disturb the tension on your shrouds and won't need to employ a rigger to get them re-set.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #11 on: March 27 2017, 22:10 »
Thank you very much,just what i needed to see.
I will be replacing the rigging next year, so this seems the time to make these mods.

thanks again to all advice received

Steven.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #12 on: March 28 2017, 10:56 »
Thank you very much,just what i needed to see.
I will be replacing the rigging next year, so this seems the time to make these mods.

thanks again to all advice received

Steven.

In that case, when the time comes, take out the fittings (if they're anything like mine, they'll want rebedding with new sealant anyways), take them to a stainless welder, show him battuta's photo and get him to drill and weld on eyes like the original ones. I wouldn't only drill and bolt through, as that'll weaken an important structural part (the loads transmitted through these chainplates are very high). Welding is much better.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)