Author Topic: How do you clean the fuel tank?  (Read 6851 times)

solar

How do you clean the fuel tank?
« on: March 15 2017, 11:28 »
Hi,
My 2008 38 Cruiser is almost 10 years old and I think that the time to clean the fuel tank is due.
No inspection hatch in tank only a small cover for the fuel gauge unit.(I see that newer Bavs have an inspection hatch on tank. Grrrrrrr...)
The tank is covered with the wood of the SB bunk and looks encapsulated to the inner hull?
What do you think? Anyone done this? How?
P.S
I know how to polish/empty the fuel BUT want to clean the inside of the tank.
Many thanks.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: How do you clean the fuel tank?
« Reply #1 on: March 15 2017, 16:13 »
You could take out the fuel sender and use the semi-rigid pipe of a Pela pump to suck around inside the tank.

I've just done that with my tank (however, it has an inspection cover!).  The boat had been sitting quietly in the marina over the winter so I thought it would be a good opportunity to vacuum any water or muck out of the bottom corner.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: March 15 2017, 16:37 »
I fitted a mechanical spiral fuel gauge from Tek-Tank, (they come in various 'depths'). You just unscrew it like on an outboard tank and then do what tiger79 suggested.
  We also have an inspection cover but the gauge is really quick to remove and replace. I usually 'sample' the tank twice a year.......Bill

solar

« Reply #3 on: March 15 2017, 17:44 »
Thanks but this method won't help much cleaning the far sides of the tank.
Anyone ever tried to take the tank out completely for a proper steam wash?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 15 2017, 18:36 »
Thanks but this method won't help much cleaning the far sides of the tank.
Anyone ever tried to take the tank out completely for a proper steam wash?

How dirty do you think the tank is?  Have you been religiously using bug-killer when you refuel?

As for removing the tank, I think you'll find that's pretty well impossible in most Bavarias - they put the tank in first and build the rest of the boat on top of it!

solar

« Reply #5 on: March 15 2017, 21:23 »
How dirty? don't know yet but it's very likely that after 10 years even if filled with diesel only from car filling stations + anti bug additives crud will stick to anything inside.

Always wondered how and why a professional yacht building company as Bavaria would be so ignorant/careless about owners needs to maintenance!

-No inspection window on a fuel tank.
-No option to remove the fuel and water tanks for cleaning or repairs.
-No draining option from bottom of fuel tank or oil from engine .
-Using cheap not seaworthy brass seacocks.
-Crappy electric swim platform.
And some more...
 :(

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #6 on: March 15 2017, 23:02 »
How dirty? don't know yet but it's very likely that after 10 years even if filled with diesel only from car filling stations + anti bug additives crud will stick to anything inside.

Always wondered how and why a professional yacht building company as Bavaria would be so ignorant/careless about owners needs to maintenance!

And some more...

Bavaria yachts are built to a price, the basic build is equal to any other.
 But, if you want the bells and whistles?, well,  that's where you come in. ( or buy a Hallberg Rassy, )
 How much would it cost to achieve the upgrades you list......not a lot.
 I think that's why we buy Bavaria, we can sail good quality yachts and adapt them to suit ourselves.
You'll not be disappointed in your yacht.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 15 2017, 23:30 »

And some more...

Sounds like you need to buy another boat.

Access to the fuel tank is adequate. The deepest part is at the front and easily accessible to extract any crud.

Plastic tanks are far more reliable and stay clean better than metal tanks so the need for removal is rare. BTW have you ever tried to remove the mild steel tanks on that high quality UK brand - Moody? or deal with failing built in GRP tanks as commonly used a few years ago by many builders including HR?

Very few boats have drain points simply because the flat bottom designs do not allow room. Top pick up is almost universal. You fuel tank would have to be on top of your berth, or thee sump and drain exterior to the hull to be able to fit a drain.

An oil extraction point is provided on the engine. Again very few boats have room underneath to access a drain point here - for the same reason as no drain on the tank.

The use of brass seacocks has been the norm for many, many years in Europe (including high cost builders like HR). Given the literally hundreds of thousands in use there does not seem to be an epidemic of failures!

Agree about the electric platform. Big mistake, quickly dropped and the latest type is a model of simplicity and reliability.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 15 2017, 23:48 »
Forget about cleaning the tank... A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME....

Almost all tanks will have crud in them. Ignore it but place an in-line strainer in the fuel line ( BEFORE THE OFF/ON SWITCH) . This will keep the crud away from clogging anything.

Levels in the tank can be controlled by enzymes such as Startron if you wish.

Polishing fuel is also a waste of time and effort, your engine will do this for you as up to 40 times more fuel is returned to the tank than is used. Running a small D1-30 ( 27 hp) motor for 5 hours at 2000rpm will "Polish" about 400 litres of fuel. 

The attached photo shows an in-line strainer removed from a Bavaria in Malta after 2 years. The boat had never had its tank cleaned and never suffered Diesel Bug.

Every Bavaria owner I have spoken to that has had Diesel Bug has had the blockage in the Fuel OFF/On switch, not the filters. The in-line strainer prevents this from happening.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

solar

« Reply #9 on: March 16 2017, 08:05 »
Interesting points made. Thanks.
Keeping my boat so long is my best statement that I love it! A lot!
But I still wish that Bavaria would maybe make a yearly survey among its boat owners and hear us out.
The weak points I listed can be done on a very low budget if made on the production line.
My next boat...if ever...will be another Bav.
And yes. I have an in line strainer on my fuel line before the fuel valve...time will tell if this will help.
German engineering is expected to be excellent! being very good is not enough!  :)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #10 on: March 16 2017, 10:31 »
Suggest you look at the newer Farr designed boats. They are very different and eliminate many of the less than good aspects of the older designs. I have owned both (a 2001 37 and a 2015 33) and although the 37 was a very satisfactory boat for its time and the way I used it, the new one is a very different proposition and way better both as a sailing boat and particularly the quality of design and build.

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #11 on: March 22 2017, 23:06 »
seen this in a sailing magazine might be worth trying look
http://www.vetus.com/fuel-systems/connection-kits/inspection-lid-120-mm.html

Rgds
Mike
Artemis

solar

« Reply #12 on: March 24 2017, 09:36 »
Interesting but I don't think that I want to risk future leaks from this added hatch to the tank.

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #13 on: March 24 2017, 19:27 »
Best of luck cleaning it then

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #14 on: March 24 2017, 20:14 »
I "cleaned" my tank by sticking a copper pipe down an unused take-off, sucking up the bottom dregs with a Mityvac pump, having a good look at them (no water, only some dirt, dirt did not multiply after adding water to a sample = not living fuel bug), pouring it through a coffee filter and back into the tank and repeating this until no more dregs came up, just clean fuel. Only took about 3x 250ml cups for that.

Now I know my tank is clean enough, has no water (and therefore no fuel bug can survive) and I have a sample tube that doubles as a dipstick strapped on top of the tank (the Mityvac case conveniently fits inside the cut-out of the tank baffle), so I can repeat this operation now and then.

Also have the Facor glass bowl filter for early warning. Good enough for me.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

solar

« Reply #15 on: March 25 2017, 07:31 »
Yes Yngmar. that's the route I'll take.
Just installed the new Facor glass bowl fuel filter.
Many thanks to you all.