Author Topic: Bavaria Ocean 38 Weight  (Read 3178 times)

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Bavaria Ocean 38 Weight
« on: March 15 2017, 00:19 »
Hi All,

Can anybody advise, from previous experience, what a Bavaria Ocean 38  weight is?
I mean ,not manufacturers' stated weight but actual weight.
Yard advised me that when hoisting the boat the weight was found to be around 10tns.  Fuel and water tanks were empty and no mast (we had already  taken off the mast off the boat ( changing rigging)).

Simon

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria Ocean 38 Weight
« Reply #1 on: March 15 2017, 10:38 »
Weights taken from crane lifts are notoriously unreliable. The design displacement for your boat is 7500kgs. You can expect to add at least 1000kgs to that for normal equipment and sailing gear - anchor chain, windlass, domestic goods, electronics, sailing gear etc. Even much more if you have a generator and a bow thruster. The mast will weigh around 200 kgs with all rigging.

So would expect a weight around 8500kgs without full tanks which would add another approx 600kgs.

So, think 10 tons is a bit on the high side, but without knowing how much additional gear you have on board is a bit of a guess. A rule of thumb for this size of cruising boat, ready to sail with a reasonable cruising inventory, the extra over design displacement is in the region of 1500-2000kgs, so 9 tons would be reasonable in that state.

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2017, 17:40 »
Thanks. 
I  was, in fact, a bit surprised at the weight advised by the yard. Next week during haulin I will recheck.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: March 16 2017, 18:22 »
The travelift gauges serve only to indicate balance between the forward and aft slings, so the crane operator can tell when the boat is about to tilt. As such, they're only calibrated against each other, not for accurate weight readings, and it's absolutely common for the weight readings to be off by several tons.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
« Reply #4 on: March 16 2017, 21:23 »
Guys. A bit of info that may help.
We do a lot of lifting at work. From 100kg panels to 70 ton mega lifts with 800 ton cranes or more.
It is important that you understand that all cranes have a safety factor added to the safe working load.
This varies from X 1.2 to X 2.0 depending on various factors that I will not bore you with the details of. Suffice to say the on board computers take some of this in to account.
These include the weight of the hook block and other lifting accessories within the total lift. So as you say the crane instruments are seldom accurate to the actual load.

However, if you want to get an accurate (very accurate) figure for the total lift. There are various lifting gear hire companies that will hire you load cells that are placed on the hook before the lifting straps, chains or wire bonds.

These load cells are very accurate up to +/- .25% For a small fee you can hire them for a lift, giving you a very accurate load figure.

We often lift using these at our factory to ensure the actual load we are going to lift on site is accurate. Because, the size of crane, reach and head height for a lift can vary hugely if the load is not accurate and this affects the price!!!
EG. We have just lifted a 4 ton series of projects in west London 76 metres. The head height to clear an obstruction was critical. We ended up with a 400 ton Grove crane. £10,300.00 to set up using a 70 ton Liebherr crane!
It took a day to set up. Its then £2300.00 a day to use the 400 tonner. The estimate from the designers was 6.3 tons. Well above the actual load eventually lifted.
Of course it could have gone the other way. We lifted for 5 days.
For a really accurate figure of the total weight of your boat, hire a load cell for each of the lifting hooks. Combine the total load on each cell to give you an accurate total load. You may be surprised!! :-)

I may be able to add a few photos of this last lift in a day or two (the project is subject to a confidentiality clause I need to get permission) the 400 Grove is a monster, the mats for it weigh 5 ton each!!   
Hope this helps.

Ant

Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
« Reply #5 on: March 16 2017, 21:40 »
400 ton Grove and 75 ton liebherr crane............
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing