Author Topic: Hanked-on Jib on inner forestay?  (Read 2722 times)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Hanked-on Jib on inner forestay?
« on: March 13 2017, 19:02 »
Like most folk we have a roller furling Genoa (Furlex). We also have an inner forestay for 'emergency' (God forbid!!) situations. This is normally secured at the mast.

When we bought the B38 many years ago we inherited a hank-on jib that the original owner set from this inner forestay.   
To improve up-wind performance it would be nice to use this sail but the problem is that there are no sheet blocks for it on the side decks.
I assume the previous owner used extra cars on the genoa track for this, but since they are no longer there I'd rather not go to the expense of replacing them.

Can anybody tell us where these blocks should be positioned? particularly how far from the yachts' centreline?
As for how far back from the bow, I was just going to ensure a 45deg lead, I assume this would be OK.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.............Bill.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Hanked-on Jib on inner forestay?
« Reply #1 on: March 13 2017, 19:54 »
I have an inner forestay on my 40 ocean and use it sometimes with a hanked storm jib [goes like stink to windward in 25kts] I use the existing genoa cars and just thread the new sheets through, then back to the normal sheet winches. Geoff

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 14 2017, 11:08 »
Thanks Geoff.
  I had considered doing what you suggest but since my wife and I are now in proud possession of our bus passes, I was hoping to rig something that wouldn't involve too much hopping around the side deck in brisk conditions, exactly the 'going like stink in 25kts' that you have experienced.
  Our jib isn't a storm sail, but is a heavy weather sail that would ensure decent upwind progress in situations where the big 120% genoa would be furled to the point where it couldn't reasonably be expected to set effectively.
  So I was hoping to have 2 sheets each side, we also have 3 winches each side, so it could have it's own.
  Also, the idea of a permanently rigged inner forestay is attractive for safety reasons, and since we tend to do fairly long legs on the one tack, (12-50 miles) rolling up the genny first to change tack isn't too much of an issue, of course if we were setting the hanked-on jib it could just be 'flipped' across.............Bill

geoff

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 14 2017, 11:55 »
Like you Bill we have our bus passes and don't go outside the cockpit for fun ! The hanked on is set up in port and hoisted once the main is up. In theory we could do it on the go but have never felt the need [or had the guts]Geoff

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 14 2017, 14:07 »
O.K. Geoff. I just assumed you rigged it en-route. I'll give it a go this coming season.
 One query, how and where do you secure your genny sheets when they're not in use? (nightmarish thoughts of them trailing in the water, or the thing suddenly deploying like a roller blind at the worst possible moment !!).........Bill

geoff

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 14 2017, 14:24 »
It has never been a problem, the genny sheets are pulled back to the cockpit and cleated off. As long as the genny reefing line is secure it is going nowhere. Geoff . ps if you see an ocean 40 in the solent area with an orange storm jib up it will be me .