Author Topic: replacement of framless hinged windows  (Read 2644 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
replacement of framless hinged windows
« on: March 05 2017, 03:28 »
Hi all

I have a 2003 Bav 41 and the plastic has become crazed and needs to be replaced.

Can anyone advise how this can be done. I have a guy who can supply poly-carbonate milled to shape.

However I cannot see how to remove the existing ones.

There are two types -framed from I think Lewmar and others which are frameless (eg over the nav station, bathroom etc) which are hinged.

The frameless ones appear to be a piece of shaped plastic with its fittings glued to it.

Can anyone help.

Regards

Aquapore

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: replacement of framless hinged windows
« Reply #1 on: March 05 2017, 08:44 »
Does it look like this one?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 05 2017, 11:15 »
Does it look like this one?

He was asking about frameless hinged windows.  Your pic is a framed fixed window.

sgparkin

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #3 on: March 05 2017, 13:53 »
Hi - I've replaced all the lewmar hatches & portlights on my Bav 38 2003.

You won't be able to replace the acrylic (glass) in the hinged portlights (ie those on the sides) - the hinges are ultrasonically welded/glued to the acrylic. Even if you could get the old hinges off without damaging them I doubt you could attach them to acrylic securely enough. The acrylics with hinges are £100-200 each to replace from Lewmar. Contact Seateach for prices. I had some problems as Lewmar don't make Mk I any more and the MkII have slight differences.

The deck hatch acrylics (which have frames around the acrylic) can be replaced. The big square hatches are easy. Those with the locking handles glued to the acrylic are more difficult - you can buy replacement handles which are screwed through the acrylic (about £35 each).

If you have the time, space and equipment to do it - the acrylic can be sanded by 0.5-1mm or so and polished but it's doubtful you'll get an "as new" appearance. This will take many hours per acrylic.

Simon

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
« Reply #4 on: March 26 2017, 10:20 »
Thanks for the info.

I have a guy guy who can machine new plastic to size for estimate of $300 for the lot for tinted polycarbonate.

The issue is the supply of replacement fittings. I don't think that attachment would be a problem.

Has anyone got info where they come from.

Regards

Aquapore.