Author Topic: Replace LPG hose  (Read 3702 times)

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
Replace LPG hose
« on: February 27 2017, 07:49 »
I all,

Does anyone know the fitting size for the cooker LPG hose? and where I can buy the new pipe?
I have trailed round are local Chandlers and caravan suppliers only to be told we don't sell that type of fitting.
Calor tried to sell me just the hose dated 2010! One chandeliers had kits which thankfully were the wrong ones dated 2014, when I pointed out they should be replaced every 5 years they said they didn't know that.
Any information welcome.

Thanks
Mick

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Replace LPG hose
« Reply #1 on: February 27 2017, 08:08 »
Mick, I note you have a Bavaria Holiday 1999 so size may differ. However, my B37 2006 uses 8mm hose. If you are changing the cooker hose you should also consider changing the hose between the gas bottle and supply pipe too. I have bought 'in date' hose from both  Force4 chandlery and on line (Ebay). Confirm date with supplier first of course.

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 27 2017, 10:55 »

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: February 27 2017, 11:11 »
I've got all of my fittings from SVB in Germany. On my 2001 Bavaria, everything was 8mm pipe/hose and using cutting ring (Schneidring) fittings. These are different from the compression fittings (olives) commonly used in the UK and not available here. Example part: https://www.svb24.com/en/gok-bulkhead-passages.html#36570
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: February 27 2017, 18:31 »
Thanks for all your replies and links :) yes i am changing the gas locker hose as this was in the worst state.
Thanks again
Mick

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: February 27 2017, 23:19 »
I changed the flexible cooker hose on my boat for one of those shown in Yngmar's web site link, and where the old hose was found to be very badly worn due the gimballing action of the cooker while the boat was at sea causing the rubber hose to rub and chafe against the boat side. It had seen about fourteen years of service on an ex charter boat by then. The hose within the gas bottle storage locker remained in good condition, but now that you have mentioned it may have an expiry date, I'll take another look at it. Thanks guys.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: February 28 2017, 08:07 »
It has been suggested to me in the past to use the braided metal reinforced hose to prevent abrasion damage but I considered this over-the-top as mine appeared in pristine condition when removed. Also, a 1-metre length more than adequately covered the requirements for both cooker and pipe in the gas locker.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: February 28 2017, 10:06 »
When I redid my gas bits, I used a standard cooker hose from SVB, but got a galvanised steel hose protector spiral from hoseworld.com, cut it to length and slipped it over the hose. This is the best of both worlds - proper gas hose, but the spiral protects it from being crushed or chafed.

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
« Reply #8 on: February 28 2017, 18:13 »
Dawntreader
I may be wrong but if you purchased 1m of hose and you used it for both cooker and locker then you must have used jubilee clips :( while this is OK for the gas bottle locker (can drain out) it is not approved for inside where there is no drain to the outside. I may be wrong no doubt I will be corrected.

Mick

Sen Mora

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: February 28 2017, 19:45 »
I had to change the hoses on mu B41 2003 as they were out of date. Being in North America nobody was making the same hoses. I fond adaptor fittings at Parker-Hanifin from SVG to NA standard. They were quite expensive but it worked ok.