Author Topic: Re: Replacing wheel pilot on B42 2000  (Read 3146 times)

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Replacing wheel pilot on B42 2000
« on: February 07 2017, 20:34 »
Hi All
Soon enough I will replace the wheel pilot on my B42 2000. Works OK in the calm Ionian Sea area but not up to fighting any wind and slop.

A question.

My B42 has two chain sprockets on the steering wheel shaft. One for the steering chain and I am sure the other is for a rotary drive AP? Does anyone have any advise on using this system as opposed to a linear drive?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #1 on: February 07 2017, 21:52 »
I have the Whitlock rotary drive. Works very well even in big seas (has gearing to be sufficiently powerful), only downside is that if your steering cables break you lose the autopilot too. A ram on the quadrant or a tiller arm will keep working, and even act as emergency steering with the pilot in manual mode. I think some here had problems with the clutch wires failing, although that was on a newer Lewmar model (they bought Whitlock in 2001).

P.S.: Split topic into new one as not really related to old thread.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 08 2017, 06:22 »
Thanks Yngmar

A ram on the quadrant or a tiller arm will keep working, and even act as emergency steering with the pilot in manual mode.

A great view I had never thought of! This shows I am still learning our B40 (2001) and on some aspects can not yet identify all the pros and cons of different systems and elements when comparing to our previous tiller-steering 31-footer.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 08 2017, 21:42 »
It sounds as though your wheel is the same design as on my 2009 Bav 38 ( 2010 model).

The auto=pilot, mine is a Lewmar motor/clutch set up run from the Raymarine control system is set up below the binnacle.

On the 2010 model, steel plates are glassed into a space below the binnacle with access via the aft cabin. The motor is bolted to the steel plates. A chain goes from the sprocket on the motor to the sprocket on the wheel.

Yngmar is correct about slipping clutches on some of the lewmar models. I am on my third auto-pilot but Lewmar assures me that the design problem has been overcome on the latest replacement I have received.

I'm not sure if I agree that fixing the auto-pilot directly on to the quadrant is a good or bad idea. I would like to ensure that the emergency tiller will work without fighting a jammed auto-pilot or steering system. I know that in my boat, I can easily disconnect the wheel and auto-pilot from the rudder fairly quickly in an emergency. As I don't know your boat, all I can recommend is to check it out and have a plan for using the emergency tiller if something else fails.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 08 2017, 21:45 »
Just a cautionary note that linear drives shouldn't be fitted to quadrants, the stresses are too high.  Instead, the drive should be fitted to a separate tiller arm.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: February 09 2017, 05:52 »
I'm not sure if I agree that fixing the auto-pilot directly on to the quadrant is a good or bad idea. I would like to ensure that the emergency tiller will work without fighting a jammed auto-pilot or steering system.
As tiger79 noted you should not connect a linear drive directly to the quadrant. Apart from stress on the quadrant, the radius of the quadrant is less than the recommended radius for the autopilot so it will also stress the autopilot motor. Therefore a separate tiller arm is needed. Disconnecting a linear drive form the rudder in case of emergency is a matter of one cotter pin. Another pin would remove the whole assembly altogether.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004