Author Topic: MD2030D - coolant draining  (Read 3885 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
MD2030D - coolant draining
« on: February 04 2017, 16:38 »
I want to change the coolant and clean the fresh water system.
Owner manual shows a picture where the drain plug should be, but I do not find any correlation between what I see and the manual.
However,  based on location,  I believe the drain plug is the one with the square head at about 2 o'clock of the oil filter.
1. Can someone confirm this?
2. Being a square head, what tool should I use to open it - seems that an open spanner will not have good access from the side. 
3. Anybody knows what the thread of the plug is (looks rather large) - I want to make a hose adapter that I can put instead of the plug, to be able to run water through the system instead of doing several fill - drain cycles.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: MD2030D - coolant draining
« Reply #1 on: February 04 2017, 19:59 »
I have put this on the forum before,  the square bolt does not have any tool designed to use on it,  I have had a lot of communication with volvo on this and In the end they made me a square drive for my rachet.  I can send you a picture of the tool.
This is the ONLY way you can really change the antifreeze in the engine correctly.
Question is how do the so called engineers change the antifreeze???

Hope this helps
Odysseus
Bav38

Odysseus

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: February 04 2017, 20:29 »
hi.
this looks like the Opel diff and gearbox drain plugs. without measuring i would say you have to use a 14mm 8 sided drain socket that holds the flat same as this http://www.ebay.com/itm/14mm-Square-Drain-Plug-Socket-KOKEN-TOOL-For-NISSAN-DATSUN-B10-B110-B210-B310-/370830918329

regards

Abby

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: February 04 2017, 21:31 »
I have put this on the forum before,  the square bolt does not have any tool designed to use on it,  I have had a lot of communication with volvo on this and In the end they made me a square drive for my rachet.  I can send you a picture of the tool.
This is the ONLY way you can really change the antifreeze in the engine correctly.
Question is how do the so called engineers change the antifreeze???

Hope this helps
Odysseus
Bav38

If the square headed plug is the same size as on my MD2020 engine, and I see no reason why it should not be, then there is a very simple answer to the problem. Take a 3/8 inch socket drive extension bar that is long enough to clear all of the obstructions on the starboard side of the engine and reverse it so that the female or socket end on the extension is now inserted over the square head of the plug. It should exactly fit. Then using an adjustable spanner on the male end of the extension, turn anti-clockwise, and the job is done.
I'll leave you to figure out how to tighten the plug when you put it back 👮

P.S. I'm not an engineer, just practical. As for Volvo engineers ???????? And no innuendo jokes please.

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 04 2017, 21:48 »
Not at the boat now, but I think it is more than 14mm.
I will take exact measurement and try to build a tool by myself if not 14mm - Odysseus can you post a picture of the tool that you have?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: February 05 2017, 13:00 »
Its 17mm, not going to boat untill march, but will put photo on forum when I do.

Yes you can reverse 3/4 " extension  but I wanted to get Volvo to admit there was not a tool to do the job. Thats why they made me a socket. I was going to publish in YM if they did not fix it for me.

Odysseus
Bav 38

Odysseus

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 09 2017, 17:49 »
Could not yet find a suitable wrench to open the square 17mm plug so took a look at the situation again today.

There are two hoses going in/out of the fresh water pump - they are easily accessible, and when disconnected the ends can even be pulled out of the engine compartment. Basically the pump is the "heart" so these pipes are probably connected to the engine so that full circulation is achieved.
So how about the following procedure that does not use the problematic plug at all:
Disconnected both hoses
Connect one hose to a water hose
Put the other end into a bucket
Turn water on and push in fresh water until it comes out clean (empty bucket when full)
Either with a pump or by pushing air evacuate the water in the system
Fill with coolant

Logical or am I missing something?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #7 on: June 08 2018, 19:54 »
I realize this is an older post but didn't want to post anew since this one has a lot of info already. We are faced with getting that dang square bolt off and have had no luck. 17mm 8-point sockets do not exist where we are in Mexico. There are however, a lot of fabulous metal workers. We are going to have a tool made to get the bolt off and then replace it with a drain fitting for future ease of use. Odysseus are you able to post a photo of that tool you had made!? Would love to see a pic and use it as a reference.

Boatname

« Reply #8 on: June 10 2018, 14:37 »
I drained my coolant yesterday using the reverse socket trick.

The square in the socket that the wrench fits into is the same size as the square engine drain bolt.

See here using an 11mm socket

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #9 on: July 12 2018, 22:14 »
Thanks everyone. We FINALLY got the bolt off after ordering a 17mm 8 pt socket online and getting it special delivered to us down in Mexico. Next thing I am wondering is, has anyone installed the Volvo drain faucet onto their motor? We've got the faucet (part # 861824) but it doesn't fit into the bolt thread- it is way too small. I read online that there is an adapter to allow the drain faucet to fit (adapter is part # 3850290) but I cannot find it anywhere to order. Has anyone had any success with this, or have you come up with another unique solution for allowing easy draining coolant in future? Our screw is pretty stripped now anyhow and we'd really like a drain faucet.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #10 on: July 13 2018, 10:34 »
I have never attempted to use the drain plug.  I always drain and flush the coolant system by disconnecting the rubber (green painted) circulation hose that runs from the bottom of the heat exchanger (left side under alternator) to the circulation pump which is roughly middle of the front of engine, just behind the belt. I disconnect the hose at the pump and collect old coolant that flows out of the hose into bucket.  I then flush system through with plenty of fresh water (using hose pipe) collecting the flush water exiting the pump side. Finally reconnect circulation hose and fill up with new coolant.