Author Topic: Battery charging systems  (Read 1805 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Battery charging systems
« on: February 03 2017, 17:16 »
2013 Cruiser 33

I am thinking of changing the charging system on the boat. At present I have a 100 amp alternator which connects to a Quick charge seperator
which then connects to my 3 battery banks . Starter ,Domestic 440amp  and Bow thruster.

I have looked at the Sterling Alternator to battery AB12130 but this only does 2 battery banks. Sterling have suggested I need an additional Battery to Battery BBW1212 .  But on there web site I see they do a Pro Split R which does 2 or 3 battery banks .The Prosplit  seemed toi be the answer but not sure which to pick
All  comments greatly appreciated .Does anybody know of different manufacturers.

Regards Tony Revell   Cruiser 33  2014.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Battery charging systems
« Reply #1 on: February 03 2017, 17:46 »
The ProSplit R is simply a low-loss isolator, essentially the same as your existing Quick device.  So it wouldn't offer any significant advantage.

On my 2014 Cruiser, the standard set-up of alternator and Quick isolator seems to deliver 14.5v or so to the AGM batteries.  The Sterling Alternator-to-Battery charger, if set to AGM batteries, would actually reduce the charge voltage!

I don't think you'll get any benefit if you spend £400 on a Sterling A-to-B charger.