Author Topic: Possible leaky stanchions Bav 40 Ocean  (Read 5021 times)

markleuty

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2003
Possible leaky stanchions Bav 40 Ocean
« on: February 03 2017, 13:32 »
Hi

I have a leak on the port side of my 40 Ocean and have tried various things to fix it, but to no avail.

Next up I think I need to see if the Stanchions need to be re-bedded/sealed. But I am a bit of a newbie to this and am looking for hints/tips.

Hopefully the attached photo shows what it looks like. Is it just a case of undoing the side bolt and then the two screws at the base and then pulling it all apart or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Mark

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Possible leaky stanchions Bav 40 Ocean
« Reply #1 on: February 03 2017, 14:29 »
I'm not certain, but I think you'll need to remove the wood trim, as there will be more fixings under it.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 03 2017, 16:14 »
Mark my ocean 40 2001 has a rather different stanchion base fitting , but like you I suffered from leaks on the port side aft . In my case above the rear cabin wardrobe and sofa seat.  I found that it was very poor sealing of the hull/deck join just forward of mid ship coupled with the inadequate backing of the midship cleat . The wooden rails come off in sections and if you rake out the old sealant and squeeze in new it should fix your leak. Geoff 

markleuty

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: February 03 2017, 17:44 »
Many thanks for your replies. I hadn't realised it was a solid casting like that.

Yes, I think we're going to have to take off all the teak as the symptoms are exactly as you describe.

thanks again..

Mark

geoff

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 03 2017, 19:51 »
Mark it is not that bad , the wooden rail is in two bits,  the top section about 75mm x30mm then on the underside of it on the outside of the hull is the other section about 40mm x40mm . It is only the second part that needs to be removed. To remove it take off the stainless strip held on by[ stainless] selftappers . Once off the lower rail is held by long[about70mm] woodscrews . The rail is in 2mtr sections and comes away quite easily ,giving access to the dodgy joint . Rake out the joint and refill with pu sealant. good luck ! Geoff

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: February 04 2017, 22:06 »
Also, when the job is all done and complete, then make sure that anyone boarding your boat does not use the rail stanchions to heave their body weight onboard. Much better to come in over the stern if possible, or to hang on to the mast shrouds.

markleuty

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: February 05 2017, 09:55 »
Geoff

If you're correct, then that's the best time saving tip I have ever had. So it's the side bit I want to take off, not the top bit...

Mark

geoff

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 05 2017, 12:06 »
correct !! Geoff

Scotty

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 11 2017, 14:44 »
Hi Mark
I have a Bav 46C with a similar problem. Would like to know how you get on with your repair, particularly the removal of the wood toe rail and whether it is stuck down with adhesive as well as screws.
Tony

markleuty

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: February 14 2017, 15:27 »
Scotty

Will do.. It might be a couple of months till I get round to this, but I'll try and take some photos..

Mark

Scotty

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 15 2017, 10:12 »
Thanks, Mark. Hope it goes well.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 15 2017, 22:53 »
I've had a leak into the bilge box for years that I haven't found, and I reckon it's the hull/deck joint.

I'm heading down to the boat this weekend, so I may have a go at removing some of the capping and having a look.

If I do, I'll take some photos and post them.

Bob

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 20 2017, 08:23 »
Had a go at the weekend, but gave up.

I found that the capping was glued on with sika, so it's going to be quite a job to get it all off.

I did note though, that the calking around the stanchion bases was shot, and on digging it out, it was damp and mucky in there. So re-sealed these and hopefully that will stop rainwater getting behind the toerail.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #13 on: February 20 2017, 08:39 »
Hi

I have a leak on the port side of my 40 Ocean and have tried various things to fix it, but to no avail.

Next up I think I need to see if the Stanchions need to be re-bedded/sealed. But I am a bit of a newbie to this and am looking for hints/tips.

Hopefully the attached photo shows what it looks like. Is it just a case of undoing the side bolt and then the two screws at the base and then pulling it all apart or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Mark

Does the Ocean 40 have the fixed portlights in the deck (see this thread: http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1749.0.html )?. I have water ingress on the starboard side and, after some time found it to be this portlight that was leaking. It comes through the seals into the back of the water tight cabin headlining and fills that. Then when the boat heels the water 'pours' over into the inner skin and runs to the [starboard] sides and can even get into the bilges. What makes it difficult to trace is that it can 'leak' even if it is not raining or experiencing heavy seas coming over the toerails - just needs to lean a bit and out pops the stored water  :-\

markleuty

• Cadet
« Reply #14 on: June 26 2017, 12:09 »
Mark it is not that bad , the wooden rail is in two bits,  the top section about 75mm x30mm then on the underside of it on the outside of the hull is the other section about 40mm x40mm . It is only the second part that needs to be removed. To remove it take off the stainless strip held on by[ stainless] selftappers . Once off the lower rail is held by long[about70mm] woodscrews . The rail is in 2mtr sections and comes away quite easily ,giving access to the dodgy joint . Rake out the joint and refill with pu sealant. good luck ! Geoff

Finally got round to this and yes, it was a bit awkward to get off, but found the leak.

Very happy.

thanks for your advice on this one :-)

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: June 26 2017, 12:50 »
Yes, I forgot to update the forum.  I finally got the trim off mine and found a big gap in the hull/deck sealant.  Boat now bone dry.