Author Topic: 37 Cruiser (2007) - Plastimo Kobra II Anchor - Bow roller  (Read 2934 times)

Holger

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
I have replaced the standard CQR anchor (15 kg) which came with my 37 Cruiser (2007) with a Plastimo Kobra II (14 kg) anchor. While the CQR anchor sat very well in the standard bow roller the Kobra II anchor does not. The shaft of the Kobra II anchor is curved while the shaft of the CQR anchor was straight. I am now looking either for tips for (i) a more suitable bow roller which could ideally be installed without any changes to the toe rail or (ii) a modification of the present bow roller. Any advice and / or ideas are very welcome. Many thanks. Holger

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: 37 Cruiser (2007) - Plastimo Kobra II Anchor - Bow roller
« Reply #1 on: January 31 2017, 21:35 »
You didn't describe how it doesn't fit - a photo would be helpful here. I've changed the pivot point of my bow roller swivel to fit a slightly oversized Rocna - there's a thread around here somewhere with photos of this and other bow roller modifications.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 31 2017, 22:53 »
I have a 2009/2010 model Bav 38 that I have fitted with a 20kg Kobra 11 anchor.

I'm not sure if your fitting is different to mine but mine needs some tension on the chain to keep it from moving but otherwise is OK. I tie down the anchor when doing a long trip or in rough weather but it seems to hang fine without this.

Only problem I have is that removing the anchor for the Thursday afternoon races is an effort. The anchor needs to be passed outside the pulpit and is stored in the cockpit locker as the anchor well is too small to fit it.

If you can supply a photo of your problem I might be able to assist.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Holger

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: February 01 2017, 06:45 »
Thanks for your input so far. Unfortunately, I did not take any photos when I replaced the anchor last weekend. The next opportunity for photoso will be at the beginning of March. The "problem" is that given the curved shaft and the center of gravity at the front end the anchor tends to move forward / downwards.  The CQR anchor sat very safely in the bow roller and was prevented from moving by a 10 mm bold driven through the For the time being I have tied it (I have yet to install a windlass) but I do not want to rely only on this. Ideally, the Kobra anchor would rest fairly safely in the bow roller and any tension on the chain would be only in addition to that. When I have photos I will get back to you. Holger 

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 01 2017, 23:04 »
Holger,

It sounds as though your bow roller is similar to mine.

With a Kobra anchor fitted you will not be able to put a pin through the roller and anchor shank. I have not found this to be an issue though. That is why I use a short length of sail tie ( short webbing) to tie down for long trips.

With tension only I have found no problem in waves breaking over the bow. The anchor seems completely secure with tension from the windlass. When I say "tension" I should clarify that the tension required is quite small, just enough to stop movement.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #5 on: February 03 2017, 10:35 »
This is my Kobra 16 klo in locker. Its fine, I could drill hole in shank but choose not to. Best thing I did change from the CQR.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Holger

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: February 03 2017, 11:16 »
All, again many thanks. Your photo, Odysseus, shows a bow roller that it materially different from mine. Mine does not have a seesaw but I guess this makes much of a difference. It seems that the pivot point of the inner roller of the seesaw is fairly high so that the weight of the shank "pulls" the anchor in the direction of the chain locker. I will try to replicate this or try to find a suitable alternative bow roller with a seesaw. Best regards Holger