Author Topic: Saildrive external rubber flap unstuck  (Read 2798 times)

seasicksteve

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 40
  • Boat Year: 2000
Saildrive external rubber flap unstuck
« on: January 22 2017, 13:42 »
Apologies if this has been asked before but couldn't find anything on the forum.

My B40 Ocean was recently lifted out and I noticed that the saildrive external rubber flap (for want of a better name) has come unstuck from the hull on one side (I'll try and attach a photo).

Can anyone suggest an appropriate adhesive to reattach it securely?

Many thanks, Steve.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Saildrive external rubber flap unstuck
« Reply #1 on: January 22 2017, 13:54 »
Mine came off (and disappeared) the first year from new. As a RIB owner I had some Hypalon. Make sure both surfaces are clean and apply to both surfaces. Wait until dry and then press-fit together. Still there 9 years later  ;D

Moodymike

• Old Salt

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 22 2017, 18:05 »
I've stuck mine on with Sikaflex 291i adhesive sealant after many stories of the Bostik glue falling off. Sanded both the hull and the rubber thoroughly to key the surfaces, wiped with acetone, squirted on the adhesive, slapped the rubber on and then used a putty knife to press it onto the hull, squeeze out the extra sealant and form a nice even "ramp" of sealant between hull and rubber. Hasn't fallen off since 2015.

I think the thorough keying and cleaning, the "ramp" and even spread of adhesive are far more important than choice of adhesive. If just one tiny bit hangs off, the water flow will get in between and wiggle it loose over time.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

seasicksteve

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 40
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: January 22 2017, 20:43 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Looks like either would do the job.  The Bostik looks similar to the adhesive I used a few years ago repairing a leaky RIB and thinking about it, part of that repair was re-attaching the tubes to the fibreglass hull. As Dawntreader says it's important to get the surfaces clean.

Thanks all for your help.