Author Topic: removal of freshwater pump inlet pipe  (Read 3220 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
removal of freshwater pump inlet pipe
« on: January 07 2017, 14:22 »
Today I noticed a small leak from the strainer at the input to the fresh water pump.
I am almost sure t is not a crack but rather lack of sealing of the gasket.
Anyhow I wanted to disconnect the pipe coming into the strainer, but it seems that the only way is if I dismantle the whole pump as it seems to be a fit without any flexibility. As seen in the photo the very short length of vertical blue pipe does not let you pull out the quick connect.
Or am I missing something?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: removal of freshwater pump inlet pipe
« Reply #1 on: January 07 2017, 15:04 »
I suspect you're right!  Plumbing accessibility on Bavarias generally seems to be poor.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: January 07 2017, 16:03 »
The stuff bends a little bit, so you might get it off without removing the pump, but probably not. I've replaced the series of quickfit joints near the pump with a flexible stainless connector, and also replaced the strainer with one that can be cleaned without disconnecting it from the plumbing. Much more serviceable now!
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 07 2017, 17:21 »
The stuff bends a little bit, so you might get it off without removing the pump, but probably not. I've replaced the series of quickfit joints near the pump with a flexible stainless connector, and also replaced the strainer with one that can be cleaned without disconnecting it from the plumbing. Much more serviceable now!

Good idea.  Your link doesn't seem to work, so Lyra might like to view it here - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Flexible+Connectors/sd2807/Flexible+Connector/p86348

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: January 07 2017, 18:28 »
Thanks.
Yngmar - do you have the model of the strainer? There is one as you describe at the outlet of the shower sump but I believe a much finer mesh is required here.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: January 07 2017, 20:10 »
This one: http://www.asap-supplies.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=509613

The strainer is just to protect the pump from debris, so the 50 mesh is fine.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: January 07 2017, 21:22 »
Today I noticed a small leak from the strainer at the input to the fresh water pump.
I am almost sure t is not a crack but rather lack of sealing of the gasket.

I had a similar situation a few months ago, and on taking the strainer apart I found that the front and rear covers which normally twist and interlock together, had somehow started to slip art such that they no longer sealed. The two parts were reinserted and twisted so that they interlocked, and result was no further leakage. It may not be permanent, but it saved on trying to find a suitable replacement as I understand that type of filter is no longer made.