Author Topic: Contemplating buying a Bav 34/32 about 2006.  (Read 10381 times)

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Contemplating buying a Bav 34/32 about 2006.
« on: July 11 2012, 14:16 »
Hi.
I would like some feedback from owners who have a Bav.34/32 around the year2006.
I prefer the older style interior of around 2006. I would like some info. regarding size of heads/shower, cabins etc.
Any faults to look out for - hull, engine, rigging, sails etc. Also, how she feels to sail. I have sailed Bavaria 36/37s so I have some idea.
Lastly, do the 32/34s have a bigger interior feel to them as compared with the 30?
Fair winds,
BavNav.
PS. btw. I have a Cobra 850 at present.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Contemplating buying a Bav 34/32 about 2006.
« Reply #1 on: July 11 2012, 22:30 »
There was a lot of chopping and changing of models around that time. The 30/31/32 are essentially the same boat give or take. The 33/34 are significantly bigger, particularly in the heads and cabins. They did not sell in the volumes that other models did so you may not find such a big choice on the market.

If you go back a generation to the earlier 34 (2001 on) you will find probably a better balance of accommodation and performance. However, a bit heavier and darker inside than later models. They had a lot longer run so there are more about, but inevitably as they are older, may be variable in condition.

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: July 11 2012, 22:56 »
Thanks for the info.
The 34 feels much bigger then. I missed a chance about a year ago. Bav 34 in Rubicon Marina, Lanzarote - it looked in super condition. I tracked the owner down earlier this year and it had been taken off the market.
What size engine would be adequate. I have seen them with 18hp. would this be underpowered?
Regards,
Keith

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: July 12 2012, 10:32 »
What size engine would be adequate. I have seen them with 18hp. would this be underpowered?
I think this depends where you are, and how you go sailing. There are some who would say that 18HP was 18HP too much!

The 34 is a nice size, I spent a week on on in the Canary Islands 18 months ago. I often think my 47 is a bit too big, as 6 people on board is a well sized group.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: July 14 2012, 13:24 »
Cheers, Nigel.
I sail out of Swansea and as you know the tides are large. Presently we have a Cobra 850 with a 10hp. We find this a little to weak on occasions, if one is a little late to catch the last of a favourable tide. I was wondering how the 18hp. would cope with a 34 foot boat in the channel?
Regards,
Keith

AndyPandy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 17 2012, 08:04 »
Hi Keith,

We have a 2007, 33 which is a lot bigger than my pal's 30. Ours has the D1-30 engine so has plenty there. The standard was the D1-20 as you say.

Welcome to come check us out for a closer look,

Good luck

Andy

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: August 22 2012, 22:41 »
Cheers, Nigel.
I sail out of Swansea and as you know the tides are large. Presently we have a Cobra 850 with a 10hp. We find this a little to weak on occasions, if one is a little late to catch the last of a favourable tide. I was wondering how the 18hp. would cope with a 34 foot boat in the channel?
Regards,
Keith

I have a Bav 30 with a D1/20 that I sail in the BC. I've never had a problem of lack of power. She does over 7 knots on smooth water with a clean bottom. More typically I would be cruising at 5.5 to 6 and a sharp chop (coming through the Shoots, or somewhere like that) would reduce me to 4.5 to 5, with occasional drops to 3 knots when she really buries her bow into a couple of big waves. For what it's worth I have the bog-standard fixed 2 blade prop.

Hawkesbaynz

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: August 31 2012, 20:33 »
I have a Bavaria 33 Cruiser 2006 in the lighter wood to the earlier mahogany. We replaced the blue upholstery with a light suede and it a really bright and airy saloon.

As said there are not many around. It has a 19HP engine which seems ample enough in the Solent, and it gets up the Itchen in the ebb okay. It sails well. Feels spacious inside in comparison with a friends 31 Cruiser 2007. Admittedly it is my first year of ownership but I find it perfect for the wife and I with occasional friends.

There are more 34s around with the three cabins but not sure about 2006s.

If you are in Southampton welcome to have a look.

russ

• Swab
  • Live the Dream
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 cruiser
« Reply #8 on: October 08 2012, 23:55 »
My Bavaria 42 is a dog. I would never buy another one unless you like working and repairing boats. I have had other boats and the Bavaria is poorly manufactured and uses the cheapest materials that will last until someone buys the boat and the warranty runs out.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: October 09 2012, 11:10 »
My Bavaria 42 is a dog. I would never buy another one unless you like working and repairing boats. I have had other boats and the Bavaria is poorly manufactured and uses the cheapest materials that will last until someone buys the boat and the warranty runs out.

Very opposite of my experience. Bought mine (37) new in 2001. 7 seasons of heavy chartering in the Med then sailed back to UK. Only failures have been on proprietary parts (pumps, windlass, engine, electronics etc) which are all the same as fitted to many other (more expensive) boats.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
« Reply #10 on: October 12 2012, 12:18 »

I think you must have been very unlucky. To me the Bavaria is the Volkswagen of boats: good quality at a good price, achieved by engineering and a high level of tooling. The popularity of Bavarias with charterers and schools wouldn't last long if they weren't tough enough to be sailed all day and every day.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 12 2012, 17:05 »
I have moved to a Bavaria after three "Moody's" Apart from being much lighter very impressed with build quality and equipment.  Our B32 has better storage facilities than my previous Moody 38CC.

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #12 on: October 12 2012, 20:21 »

Next time go on and buy a Beneteau ... I am sure you will enjoy peeling your gelcoat and start all over again. I have a B38 and she has  the sporty Selden mast you usually find on very expensive yachts and she has been great. If i had to buy again , guess what boat will it be?

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #13 on: October 13 2012, 01:14 »
Unfortunately any model boat can have enough problems to cause the owner grief.  I feel lucky so far with our Bavaria 40 Ocean.  She's 12 years old and has several thousand miles under her keel.  I found many problems with the boat due to lack of maintenance from prior owners.  I fixed them at my expense and enjoy the boat.  I would love to live aboard full time.  The boat is that comfortable.   I've seen many island packets loose their masts due to poor maintenance of the chainplates. They also have tankage that needs the beautiful teak floors and cabinety to be cut out before replacing the tanks.  A very expensive job. Some of those boats are in are in the $300,000+ range.  The stories on many forums are endless about various problems and challenges with different boat models.  That's what makes these forums great. they are helpful to collaborate with others that can help navigate the labyrinth of boat maintenance and problems.

I know only too well what it feels like to buy something expensive only to find out it was a lemon.  My Bavaria is not one of those.  She's been very good to me so far. 

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #14 on: October 13 2012, 18:58 »
Rampage is a 2000 Bavaria 38 with twin aft cabins.  We've had her for just on 4 years now, we've sailed about 7,500 miles  in her and live on aboard full time.  The build quality is excellent and there's very little we'd change.  But like any other boat, she needs constant attention to keep her looking good and working well; we spend much of the winter working on her more or less full time so that we have little to do during the summer cruising season.

In fact thinking about it, the only thing I'd change would be for the Centre Cockpit version......