Author Topic: Ais600 and VHF 300i and Fusion Marine Ra205  (Read 4101 times)

Conralph

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vison 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
Ais600 and VHF 300i and Fusion Marine Ra205
« on: December 27 2016, 18:35 »
Hello, i have a ais600 and a vhf300i with one antenna. It is possible to add the fusion marine radio In this antenna circuit? I think it is a standard configuration in the new bavarias?
Ralph

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Ais600 and VHF 300i and Fusion Marine Ra205
« Reply #1 on: December 28 2016, 09:29 »
AIS and VHF sharing one antenna implies the presence of a splitter. Many splitters also have a FM outlet - if yours does, that's where you can connect the Fusion to. However, I've also had good success with a simple car FM antenna mounted inside a cupboard somewhere - FM is fairly easy to receive.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Conralph

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vison 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 29 2016, 04:57 »
The fusion marine radio can receive fm and vhf, therefore appears is an antenna connection meaningful.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: January 10 2017, 20:44 »
I have both the 600 and 300 on my boat. They have been replaced 3 times by Garmin since new .The 300 has been so unreliable I installed a Standard Horizon as a back up.
The aerial splitter in situated inside the 600 and is prone to failing which causes the radio to fail . I would strongly recommend you do not tamper with the system without instructions from Garmin.  Garmins replacement service was good while under warranty but I have absolutely no confidence in the products and would definitely not replace like for like.

Regards Tony Revell Cruiser 33

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 17 2017, 17:16 »
I have both the 600 and 300 on my boat. They have been replaced 3 times by Garmin since new .The 300 has been so unreliable I installed a Standard Horizon as a back up.
The aerial splitter in situated inside the 600 and is prone to failing which causes the radio to fail . I would strongly recommend you do not tamper with the system without instructions from Garmin.  Garmins replacement service was good while under warranty but I have absolutely no confidence in the products and would definitely not replace like for like.

Regards Tony Revell Cruiser 33

Hi Tony, I have the same set up. New VHF 300 in 2014 came with the boat and I bought a 600 AIS about 1 year ago. How ld were yours when they failed?. You have me concerned about my setup.  Thanks
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: January 20 2017, 19:54 »
Hi

I bought the boat New in 2014 and the set up came with the boat all installed by Bavaria at the factory.  The symtoms have always been similiar poor reception and virtually no transmission power sometimes beginning to work after it had been on a while. The problem appears to be if the 600 fails it causes the radio to fail as I guess its like transmitting without an aerial connected.
The first time Garmin sent advance replacements the second time they insisted a local agent RJ Marine  replace them for a second and third time.
He checked the installation on both occasions. He made rather rude comments about the aerial connections in the boat but on testing he found the connections to be okay.  You could look under your  ceiling panel below the mast where you may find a very large antenna cable with a reducer allowing the masthead aerial to be connected to it. 
It took me ages to find the other end but on my Cruiser 33 the large cable terminates in the port side locker behind the back cushions nearest to the chart table . In view of his initial comments I have since installed a new coaxial cable to replace this I have no idea why it is so large and nor had he.  We sailed to Holland without a radio on one occasion not a good idea. As I said previously I have now installed a Standard Horizon as I have always had good experience with them .  As the warranty will soon run out if it fails again I will dump it all.

Regards Tony Revell   Cruiser 33

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 20 2017, 22:09 »
Thanks Tony

So far all working OK. I have checked the aerial connections by the mast step recently since I was looking at options when I installed the AIS 600 since I wanted transmit as well as receive   

My coax is all the same size from the mast step connector through to the main VHF unit under the electrical panel.

I will monitor it though and keep doing radio checks regularly since you highlighted the possible issues

Thanks for your advice
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46