Author Topic: Fitting a Sarca Excel Anchor Bav31  (Read 2824 times)

my dianne

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
  • Boat Year: 2000
Fitting a Sarca Excel Anchor Bav31
« on: December 18 2016, 02:14 »
There has been some recent discussion of replacing the Bav factory standard anchor with one of the newer generation anchors.  I`ve just recently replaced the old CQR on my Bav31 2000 with a Sarca Excel 16 kg anchor (photo). It fits fine on the bow and works well in my protected home waters. It sits quite high on the bow roller however, and so will need some minor mods to secure it for offshore work.

It fits in the anchor locker too, with hatch locked, except 150mm of the shank end protrudes on a shallow angle in the anchor feed channel. This causes me no problems. The major practical benefit has been an ability to sail into a crowded popular beach anchorage and drop anchor in a small gap between boats, or close to the shore, relying on the quick grab and shorter possible scope. I could rarely do that with the CQR, usually just providing free entertainment to the onlookers. The reputed high holding power of the Excel in extreme conditions I have yet to test.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Fitting a Sarca Excel Anchor Bav31
« Reply #1 on: December 18 2016, 11:17 »
The current standard anchor from Bavaria is a Delta - much better than the CQR copies that they used to fit. Chain is 50m of 8mm.