Author Topic: Raymarine instrument crash  (Read 11348 times)

Cdogg

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30C
  • Boat Year: 2008
Raymarine instrument crash
« on: July 08 2012, 16:01 »
Despite the wet weather I went out for a sail yesterday only to find that my Raymarine C70 Chart-plotter would only display squiggly lines across the screen, I tried a couple of restarts but it remained the same. The ST60 Wind and Close Hauled wind instrument also played up with the direction needle flicking about randomly and the display showing a mixture of broken up letters. As if that wasn't enough, the ST4000+ auto-helm, when engaged, cycles continually from full starboard helm to full port with and occasional unexpected 360deg spot turn. The rudder position indicator dots along the bottom of the ST4000 screen show the rudder approx. 15 degrees to starboard when in fact it is centred.

What is going on?

It was a very wet day, but most days are when I choose to sail in Scotland!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Raymarine instrument crash
« Reply #1 on: July 08 2012, 21:46 »
Hi Cdogg What is the voltage from your house batteries feeding the instruments ? if its low could that be possibility ? What about voltage at the individual instruments, plotter etc. Sometimes they are interconnected so one can affect another re voltage drop. For example the Raymarine course computer supplies power to my Lewmar motor for the autopilot and the Raymarine C 120 plotter supplies power to the tri data and wind. Just some suggestions , good luck.
Cheers

Stuart

Cdogg

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: July 08 2012, 23:34 »
Thanks Stuart,

That's worth checking, although the voltage meter is showing the batteries as fully charged. Interestingly, a friend with the twin boat to mine (age, same Raymarine kit etc.) had the same Chart-plotter problem on the first day of a 5 day cruise and after a day or so the plotter simply started working again. Naturally he is concerned that any future failure may happen at a less opportune moment!

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: July 11 2012, 14:28 »
The same happened to my C70 it turned out to be the ribbon tapes inside that cause the lines, its been fine since.

Cdogg

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: July 12 2012, 07:20 »
Hi MIA
How did you fix the ribbon tape fault?
Cheers
cdogg

Cdogg

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: July 12 2012, 13:10 »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my instrument problems. A very kind marina manager went on-board today in my absence (I live 200+ miles from the boat). On noticing that the instruments were all very wet despite being under the pedestal cover, he removed the chart plotter from the pedestal and other instrument electrical plugs/connectors dried them off and re-connected. All now appears to be working again although the chart plotter itself did have another few moments of squiggle lines, but then appeared to work as per normal. His recommendation is to take the chart plotter home for a few days to properly dry out then test for any damage that may have been caused. I may also do a factory reboot, but I'll think about that one a bit more.
Cheers
cdogg

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: July 12 2012, 14:00 »
His recommendation is to take the chart plotter home for a few days to properly dry out then test for any damage that may have been caused. I may also do a factory reboot, but I'll think about that one a bit more.

It might be worth making a cover for the pedestal. My instruments are mounted on the end of a table, I bought a BBQ cover to fit over it: cheaper than buying the material!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #7 on: July 12 2012, 16:23 »
It probably is not well know so please take notice Raymarine instruments are not water proof. I have a wet weather sailing cover over my binnacle instruments "clear plastic".

I have had this dispute with them a number of years ago.

Odysseeus
Odysseus

Cdogg

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: July 12 2012, 18:42 »
If this is true, then in my opinion the Raymarine C70 is either 'not fit for purpose' or Bavaria fitted inappropriately spec'd equipment (assuming it was spec'd by Bavaria and not by the original purchaser or dealer).  It makes you wonder why this has been accepted by all those who have had these problems.

I have recently purchased an iPad for use on the boat. Apple had the decency to draw my attention to the fact that it is not waterproof and with this knowledge, I bought a waterproof case.

Customer care

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: July 13 2012, 14:06 »
Hi MIA
How did you fix the ribbon tape fault?

I opened the C70 up and unplugged the ribbon (both sides) and pushed it back on then refitted the C70 back together.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #10 on: July 20 2012, 10:07 »
I too had a soggy chart plotter on my boat. In fairness it was almost ten years old and had been badly abused by charterers who did not know how to put the cover back on! As it was very old I took the instrument apart and drained out about an egg cup full of water, then stood the opened instrument in from of a fan heater and dried it out. That lasted a few months, but then the charterers got the better of the situation and it got wet again and stopped working. I sent it off to a firm who advertised they could fix instruments,(w.o.t.) and they sent it back saying it was corroded inside even though they had not opened it!! So I contacted Raymarine, and they did a brilliant job of sorting it out, and if I remember right their bill was under £200. I was so impressed and can recommend them as a first port of call.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #11 on: July 23 2012, 23:25 »
My C70 was suffering with rainbow stripes on the screen, and nothing else. This was my solution:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3650938#post3650938

Having dismantled the plotter, I know that the design is waterproof. "Chartererproof" is, of course" a rather more demanding design requirement.