Author Topic: what varnish is used on Nav Table - 2010 Bavaria 38  (Read 3158 times)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
what varnish is used on Nav Table - 2010 Bavaria 38
« on: November 24 2016, 04:03 »
I have some wear on the side of the Nav table and would like to revarnish this area.

It would be great if the varnish matched the remainder of the Nav Table.

Does anyone know what the original varnish used is? I've searched a number of sites but can find no direct answer to this, just a number of posts and articles about satin and gloss finishes.

Thanks

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: what varnish is used on Nav Table - 2010 Bavaria 38
« Reply #1 on: November 24 2016, 13:21 »
The finish is sprayed on, so unlikely you will get a direct equivalent for brush application. I have found a Ronseal satin varnish blends in well.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: November 24 2016, 15:32 »
I have some wear on the side of the Nav table and would like to revarnish this area.

Does anyone know what the original varnish used is? I've searched a number of sites but can find no direct answer to this, just a number of posts and articles about satin and gloss finishes.

I had my companionway steps re-varnished a couple of years ago. As stated by Symphony it was sprayed on and they used 2 coats of polyurethane varnish for colour and three coats of clear for hardness. Very good colour match but now I also need to do the chart table. Think I'll do a test run with brushes on the stair grab rails first though.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: November 24 2016, 18:56 »
my job for spring, steps, grab rails, chart table oars!!! wonder if you can get ronseal sating in corfu?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: November 24 2016, 19:39 »
I made a mounting bracket and also used Ronseal satin. The satin matches well, although I didn't get the woodstain quite right ("Deep Mahogany" is a bit too red). Also the Ronseal is a nasty synthetic varnish which smells up the boat for a long time while curing.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 25 2016, 21:04 »
I refinished the companionway steps in my 2007 Vision  with Epiphanes. Sanded to bare wood and thinned first two coats 50/50 using a brush. Excellant results.

Steve burt48

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 50 Cruiser Sail
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: January 12 2017, 12:43 »

Thanks

Craig
Hi I had spoken with Bavaria and was told that my boat a 50 was done in light oak with Mirrortone 75% sprayed polyuethane and it matched perfectly you cant find the edge at all. ;D
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia