Author Topic: Volvo D2 55 Replacement for Air Filter  (Read 2946 times)

s/y Susanne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44/3
  • Boat Year: 2002
Volvo D2 55 Replacement for Air Filter
« on: November 06 2016, 13:05 »
Can anyone give me an Outside Diameter for the air inlet pipe that takes the rather poor OEM foam-filter and supporting spring for this engine.
I see from various threads that a double cone type filter has been used on other engines by those of us  not entirely happy to pay £35 for 2 grams of poly-ether foam.

For geographic reasons I am unable to measure my own inlet....anyone?
Thanks
Stewart

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Volvo D2 55 Replacement for Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: November 06 2016, 14:42 »
I should be down there tomorrow so will let you know asap.
ATB

Mark

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: November 06 2016, 20:48 »
The air filter has the same part number as the air filter for my MD 2020D, therefore the outside diameter of the air inlet pipe as previously measured is 66mm.

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: November 12 2016, 14:09 »
I too have been thinking about a replacement for the sponge and spring. I have used domestic  cooker hood filter material which I glued together around a cylindrical mound (plastic pipe) It worked  but I got fed up making replacements (due to  a leaky exhaust which  quickly mucked up  the filter. So now I want a more solid replacement  - like a vortex filter on performance cars. Problem is there is not enough space between plastic pipe and side of engine block so it will be necessary to have a bend  and place the filter horizontally On my D2-55A which  I think is the same as yours  the outside diameter of the plastic pipe is 60mm (inside 45mm). I just happened to  have lying around a 60mm plastic elbow with internal rubber gasket which  should fit, the other end would take a 60mm internal diameter tube for the filter.  The pipe was from a boiler balanced flue (inner pipe) It should not be that difficult to find a filter with that dimension. If you are  going to  follow this approach  and identify a filter, I hope you will post the results.     

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: November 13 2016, 20:49 »
I have finished the job - used a sporty air filter from ebay cost £8. Now to upload photo.....