Author Topic: MD2030 interesting problem - starter relay got "eaten away"  (Read 2080 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
I recently encountered a problem which I assume may be of interest to anybody with this engine series.
Engine worked great, and at a certain time we turned it off and continued on sails alone. Later when I tried to turn it on again - nothing happened - no sound at all, not even a click.
Opened the engine compartment, everything looked OK, with a plastic mallet gave several bangs to the starter thinking it got mechanically locked, but this did not help.
Took a large screwdriver and shorted the starter connections - starter motor turned but did not engage (never gave thought before as to how it is engaged/disengaged  - after this problem I know it s electrical).
Then I remembered the little black electrical box on the port side of the engine - opened it and inside there are two relays - both were totally loose, almost out of the socket. Took them out - the end of three of the 5 pins was gone (see photo). Due to the vibration over 12 years the socket connection "filed" the plugged pin  until contact was lost.
Holding the relays in place and having someone at the ignition button the engine returned to life. Later when I had 220Vac, as a first aid, I applied a thick layer of solder to each of the pins - this solved the problem for this trip.
Now I will get new relays. As a preventive measure I intend to place some kind of a pad between the relays and the box cover so that there is downward pressure on the relays that will prevent their movement.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: MD2030 interesting problem - starter relay got "eaten away"
« Reply #1 on: November 05 2016, 18:39 »
That's an interesting one Lyra, and it's one I've not encountered. Last spring however, I had wanted to start my engine (MD2020) while the boat was on shore, and having got a hose rigged to supply cooling water, switched on, heater plug on for ten seconds then pressed the starter button and nothing happened. Eventually, and to my surprise, I found that the starter button internals had disintegrated. Mine is just a basic engine control panel mounted in the base of the steering binnacle. Having removed the starter button and it's entrails, I was even more surprised when I walked in to the local chandlery (ABC Powermarine in Beaumaris, Anglesey) and asked if anyone knew where I might get a new one from, and they said yes, we have a selection over there on the shelf !!
I suppose the moral of the story is that with a boat now fifteen years old, anything and everything not regularly opened up and inspected could fail, and without much warning  :sick

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: MD2030 interesting problem - starter relay got "eaten away"
« Reply #2 on: November 05 2016, 20:05 »
I had a similar problem with the starter relay and also with the glow relay. As mentioned these relays are mounted in the black box on the left side of the engine. Mine is also a MD2030. In my opinion such box should not be fitted on a vibrating machine like a combustion engine. I still use the same relays, but could do something to the contacts that they clamp better.
The idea to glue some foam to the cover so the relays are more "fixed" is maybe a good idea.

If such problem happens you can get in serious trouble in case you need the engine desperately.
It is not the first time I hear about this problem.
Ger