Author Topic: Spinnaker setup?  (Read 3666 times)

ejessen

• Second Mate
  • 2001 Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40AC
  • Boat Year: 2001
Spinnaker setup?
« on: October 24 2016, 05:30 »
I purchased an asymmetrical spinnaker for my 2001 Bavaria 40  AC 2 cabin.

Managed to run the spin halyard up the mast. The spins sheet are run though a block attached to the mid-ship dock cleats and lead back to the secondary winches from there.

I am scratching my head on where best to attach the spinnaker tack? I have the tack lead into a block attached to the anchor, but the tack line rubs against the bow stanchions and wooden seat that is up there.

Any recommendation on how best to rig a spinnaker on a ~ 2001 Bavaria 40?

I was considering the ATN Tacker but main issue there is that I would have to roll in the jib before hoisting the spinnaker. Ok for cruising, but I'm starting to do more and more club racing.

-- Erik

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
Re: Spinnaker setup?
« Reply #1 on: October 24 2016, 08:01 »
I have similar boat but a 3-cabin version. PO had installed a walk-on bowsprit with an eye for gennaker.

Since this season was such a big step-up in boat size for us, haven't yet flown the gennaker, but I would assume it fits well with the bowsprit.

I have always routed the sheets in my previous boat through blocks in stern corners, often these blocks have been attached to stern cleats. I would assume using midship cleats would result in suboptimal sheeting angle?

BR,

Tommi

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 24 2016, 13:08 »
I fitted one of these, takes the tack out in front of the bow and away from the anchor rollers, seat, pullpit etc. I previously had an ATN tacker and much prefer the bowsprit. It is removable and retractable. I fly an assymetric from it no probem. I also have a roller furling system for it too....

http://www.seldenmast.com/products/spinnaker_-_gennaker_hardware/gennaker_bowsprits.html

Recommended....
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #3 on: October 26 2016, 07:25 »
In case you have the luxury of sailing in non-tidal areas with plenty of inhabitated rocky islands, the walk on bowsprit has the additional benefit when you park your bow next to the shore and use stern anchor to keep the boat aligned.

This is why you can find these walk-on bowsprits more often in Finland and Sweden, especially on newer design boats with modern "straight bow".

Tommi

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 18 2016, 06:26 »
Erik,
Have to agree with Kibo, the Selden retractable bowsprit is the way to go. Unless you want to add a Code 0 later. Advantage of the bowsprit is that it will get the asymmetric further out. If you intend to use a code 0 a shorter and more substantial "prodder" is needed due to the luff loads that are applied.

Cheers
Mark
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009