Author Topic: Fitting a 3rd reefing line  (Read 9265 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Fitting a 3rd reefing line
« on: June 21 2012, 18:52 »
I have the standard Selden boom on my B37 and want to fit a 3rd reef back to the cockpit - any tips on this? I have already modified the mainsail.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Fitting a 3rd reefing line
« Reply #1 on: June 22 2012, 09:42 »
I have the standard Selden boom on my B37 and want to fit a 3rd reef back to the cockpit...

As far as I know, Selden booms only have two sets of runners for single-line reefing, so you would need to use the reefing pennant on the ram's horn. If you are frequently putting in 3 reefs, it might be possible to swap them.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 25 2012, 13:52 »
Thanks. You are correct, there are only 2 sliders. However, there is provision for 4 lines and I was advised by a Selden supplier that you can run 3rd and 4th lines under these sliders along the inside of the boom and drop them down to a turning block. I was hoping someone has already done this and could advise. I don't use 3rd reef regularly but have been out in F7 twice recently thinking it would be nice to be able to reduce sails a bit more  :-) !

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 27 2012, 12:55 »
I understood that it was not possible to have single line reefing on the third reef because the boom is not long enough to accommodate the movement of all the slidey bits inside. However it should be straightforward to run a reefing pennant up from the boom, down again, and then through the boom and back to the clutches and winches. My only concern would be to make sure it can pass all the gubbins inside the boom without tangling. Unfortunately this means going up to the boom to hook onto the rams-horn in just the conditions when you would much rather stay in the cockpit. :(

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 15 2012, 08:35 »
Update: I have now fitted the third reef using a block on the main at the reef cringle nearest to the mast and a double turning block at the base. This allows for setting the third reef from the cockpit without having to go forward.

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: September 15 2012, 08:58 »
Well done. Would you be able to post (or email) some pics?
Thanks,
John
Sweet As
Bav 36

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #6 on: September 15 2012, 09:08 »
Same as Sweet As can you post the pics please.

Odysseus
Odysseus

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 14 2012, 08:07 »
All,
I would post pictures but I cannot get them uploaded. Any help on the correct syntax would be much appreciated!

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: October 16 2012, 10:05 »
I would post pictures but I cannot get them uploaded. Any help on the correct syntax would be much appreciated!

You can either:
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 21 2012, 10:38 »
1. Shows block on main sail

2. Double turning block at foot of mast

3. Piggy-back deck tidy

4. exit point at goose neck (middle of the three lines going down to turning block

annariina

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 AC
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #10 on: March 24 2013, 05:44 »
Yes but  :)

You don't need a double block if you route the line up to main sail underneath the bock at the fore end of the boom. This reduces need of reefing line at least by 2 meters as well. I have experienced packing of extensive amounts of 3rd reef line quite annoying when dropping the main. It tends to slide out of the pack. In addition, it is advisable to lock the upper block on the main sail so that it won't revolve otherwise the line may kink and you cannot raise the sail.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 30 2013, 22:33 »
Thank for the tip about the double block - I will see how that works. Agree about the extra line but having the 3rd reef negates the inconvenience. Also, I have found the system slightly 'imbalanced' and need to manually pull the slack on the boom when putting the reef in. This may be mitigated if I only use a single block as suggested. All in all the 3rd reef I have rigged works well and has got me from Brixham last November to the Caribbean in some pretty foul weather so I am very happy with it.

westward

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 32
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 21 2013, 18:08 »
I also have rigged a third reef on my Bavaria 32 and have used it on several occasions.
I also have a permanently roved third line.

The big difference is I have single ended reefing with a simple ring on the tack. I find this system perfectly satisfactorily and foolproof even single handed though it does involve climbing out of the cockpit (often at night in a force 7 and twice to shake out a reef).

My comments would be :
- it is only really practical downwind, going upwind I have only put it in just before having to run off anyway
- downwind it has been a blessing
- the long line does fall out of the lazy bag but I can live with it

I have just seen a comment in the Selden documentation that you should not reef the main too far down as it pulls the mast backwards in the middle and could cripple it. Any comments?

suibhne

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #13 on: July 24 2013, 16:08 »
I have a Bavaria 36 (2002)
I fitted a third reefing system by sacrificing cockpit use of genoa halyard and outhaul.
These I led to mast and tied off there.
This left free two routes to cockpit for one luff reef and one leach reef using existing turning block and clutches.
Total cost
£ 74 for sailmaker to put 3rd reef points on sail
£32 for dyneema reefing line.