Author Topic: Suunto compass bubble as oil leaks  (Read 5832 times)

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Suunto compass bubble as oil leaks
« on: October 14 2016, 11:38 »
Anyone else had a gradually expanding bubble in the Suunto steering compass with evidence of oil leaking below?
Am aware that some skippers have suggested baby oil as replacement.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Suunto compass bubble as oil leaks
« Reply #1 on: October 14 2016, 12:15 »
If it has a bubble, it means there's a leak, probably in the diaphragm. You can top it up, but the bubble will inevitably re-appear unless you get the compass repaired.  People suggest all sorts of liquids - white spirit, gin and baby oil are favourites - but be aware that if you add something which isn't compatible with the existing stuff you could have problems.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: October 14 2016, 16:58 »
Suunto replied: "Please be informed that compasses over 10 years old cannot be repaired anymore. If fluid is leaking out, refilling the compass may not be a permanent solution. Mineral oil is used in filling the capsule. We have used liquid known as Isopar M ..."

I believe the "M" refers to medium viscosity, as the similar "L" product is low viscosity.

I had an interesting reply from Barry at compass repairers BPSC Marine:

Isopar L (compass fluid we supply) is specific for the job! White Spirit is used for cleaning paint of brushes! Lamp oil, if you knew the number of compasses that come in with that inside that I just throw away because it ruined the internals. Below are the fluids I have had in because someone told someone else it would work!!
Olive Oil
Baby Oil
Sunflower Oil
Kerosene
Pink Paraffin
White Spirit
Clear Massage Oil (enough said)
All of these compasses were marked ?oil fill only?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: October 14 2016, 21:34 »
Be careful how you handle this stuff.....

Anthony

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: October 14 2016, 23:27 »
The leak is actually coming from the filler hole where there is a small screw. the small gasket had deteriorated.

Anthony

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: October 14 2016, 23:40 »
I contacted a friend in a leading oil company ( Penrite) whose technical department advised that Isopar M was difficult to obtain in small quantities, and they suggested baby oil instead.

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #6 on: October 15 2016, 10:53 »
Hi

I repaired my suunto compass :) the bellows had rotted away and all the fluid ran out.
It was relative easy and cost in total £5.00.
I think it was Nigel who had written a piece on a forum (not this one) a while ago and I am sure he will reply.

First take out the compass from the holding brackets. There is a black plastic bottom like a can which is pressed on to the housing of the compass. With the compass split and all the works taken out put the black plastic bottom half in to a pan off boiling water this helps to ease the push fit seal around the old bellows using a good flat screwdriver ease off all the way round. It?s quite tight to force off and you may have to keep immersing in the boiling water but keep going it will come, use a cloth to hold it as it?s hot (Health and safety covered).

Now to replace the bellows, down at the pound shop or on ebay you can buy a collapsible silicone cup with a lid you only need the lid, as this is silicon it is better than the plastic bellows that are factory fit and allow for the expansion of the fluid.

Fit the lid over the bottom of the compass up to the grove and force the black plastic bottom back on good idea to put the bottom back in the boiling water.

The filling hole is at the side you need a syringe like the type they fill printer cartridges with and 2 bottles 250ml JOHNSTON?S BABY OIL not the cheaper stuff.

Fill the compass back up only with the baby oil, it?s the last bit that is hard to get the last bubble out.
Mine was done 18 months ago and no problems crystal clear.

Good luck you have nothing to loose.

Mick

abouttime

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 40AC
« Reply #7 on: October 19 2016, 14:25 »
ISOPAR M. Seen it for sale here in 1ltr bottle - http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/products/product.php?categoryID=1399&productID=6784

About £22 inc delivery to standard uk address